Logo

1978 Chris Craft 251 Fuel Tank

capt_dan

"Our mechanic is telling us th

"Our mechanic is telling us that the original tank is scaling and that it is clogging our fuel pick up, causing the engine to shut down. Has anyone done a tank replacement on these boats? It has the round, 50 gallon tank in the stern. What is the best replacement for it? HELP!"

"Buy an aluminum replacement t

"Buy an aluminum replacement tank, and be sure it's installed correctly. You'll ave lots of company with gasahol eating plastic fuel tanks!

Jeff"

"Fastjeff (or other expert

"Fastjeff (or other expert),
I also have the (original?) 50 gal gavanized steel cylinrical tank in my 1978 251. The tank looks clean on the outside. Before I put ethanol in it, I ran the engine to starvation and then pumped the remains from the bottom of the tank and the gas was clean and free of any visible sediment or water. I since have run 3 tanks of ethanol (E10) through it and have not experienced any problem with even a clogged filter. I hate to fix something that is not broken. My question to you is should I just plan on replacing the tank this winter or keep using it as long as it stays clean?
Jim"

"My 251 Catalina came with two

"My 251 Catalina came with two after market 60 gallon aluminum tanks mounted underneath the floor on each side to the rear of the boat. Just in case you were curious I installed a 300 H.P. Mercruiser 350 M.P.I. engine. That engine combined with a Michigan 3 bladed prop with a cup, not sure of dimensions, puts the boat at a cruising speed of 28 mph at 3200 rpm burning 14gph."

Back