Logo

Intermittent brief loss of 1or 2 cylinders

B

Bill Wright

"We are talking about a 1985 J

"We are talking about a 1985 Johnson 140, the big block model. On occasion 1, maybe 2 cylinders stop firing for a few seconds, mostly in the 3000 - 4500 RPM range. This will not be good for my skiing! I pulled all the plugs yesterday morning and all were wet. Could this indicate this problem is not specific to 1 or 2 particular cylinders or ignition components? What's going on possibly?"

I would check for cracked coil

I would check for cracked coils or bad wires on those cylinders.

That's where I'm think

That's where I'm thinking too. I hope Joe Reeves sees this post.

"All plug 'wet' indica

"All plug 'wet' indicates more a lack of fuel than lost ignition, and I would have liked a pick of the plugs.
A defective stator, power coils, may cause a random cylinder to miss now and then, but not at such a close RPM range as indicated. I would normally be worse the higher rpm at the beginning, and then be in the whole range. A defective power pack normally drops out one or more cylinder, but it will not jump from cylinder to cylinder and is clearly visible on the plug.
A general lack of fuel, normally gets worse by encreased RPM unless the problem is in the intermediate jets.
However to get closer, a compression test would be nice at least to eliminate mechanical cylinder/piston dammage"

I changed the plugs before our

I changed the plugs before our last outing to eliminate that slight possibility. NGK B7HS10. I am on my way out to get a compression guage.

Compression climbs steady to 1

Compression climbs steady to 140 on 1 & 3 and 125 on 2 & 4. That makes me happy. Found questionable lead condition on 3 & 2. Hope that does it. Thanks guys!

Back