Logo

Volvo aq130 with 275bs destruction

ac680

"A customer called me yesterda

"A customer called me yesterday, he has a 1984 bayliner with 2 volvo aq130's, 4 cyl, 2.3L basically a marinized b23 car engine. He went out a few days ago, and his port engine strated idling bad, and stalling. apparently a few times refusing to crank, and after a few tries salt water came out throught the carburetor during cranking, a little fountain, 3 feet highy or so. fresh water cooling system was fine, green, and no loss. I removed exhaust manifold, plugs, and cranked engine a great many times, and filled everything with oil. no sign of water in engine sump.. level normal, but lots of salt water in cylinder head.
Cam belt after inspection was stripped, and found cam timing off by 60 degrees or so.. Is it possible cam belt slipped timing, and allowed the engine to become a massive waterpump? I have a hard time explaining salt water in the cylinder head. I believe this engine hydrolocked at idle, is there a cylinder head breach possible?
Curious. I will replace the timing belt this weekend.. run a compression check, and start the engine..."

"The AQ130 does not have fresh

"The AQ130 does not have fresh water cooling or timing belt. I assume you are talking about an AQ131 or similar.

Sounds to me like the exhaust manifold may be perforated and one of the cylinders was hydro-locked due to salt water ingress. If in the process the timing was out due to some sheared teeth, compression would take place with the intake valves still opened, which would explain why water was coming out through the carb."

"When replacing the belt, do n

"When replacing the belt, do not forget to replace the drive gear at the cranckshaft or atleast have it cleaned properly. Perhaps time to do the same operation on the other engine before same thing happends there?"

"Little late reply, but the wa

"Little late reply, but the water ingestion was caused by a "flow" reversal, indeed the timing belt slipped enough to have a piston go down, with the exhaust open. I did drain everything, and replaced and timed the cam belt. cleaned carb. All runs fine.

Customer very happy."

Back