Logo

1979 Johnson Outboard V4 Model 115TL79

J

John Burroughs

"Motor has been setting up for

"Motor has been setting up for more than one year. Engine cranks and will idle. However, engine will not accelerate and bogs down when accelerated. ENGINE WILL NOT ACCELERATE WITH FULL THROTTLE - bogs down."

"sounds like you need to pull

"sounds like you need to pull carb(s)down and give them a good cleaning,and also,it wouldnt hurt to check compression and decarb motor if you need to!"

I would be willing to bet your

I would be willing to bet your high speed jets are clogged as were mine they are located in the bottom of the float bowl you have to take the drain pluggs out and they are about one inch inside of those holes if the carbs are the same as mine hope this helps

You didn't say what engine

You didn't say what engine you have but the other guys are on the correct track with the dirty jets. Some jets you can remove without taking the carb / carbs (witch ever is the case) off of the engine. But it is best to remove and clean the carb in any case. If the jets are pluged you can bet that there is the famous green grunge in the float bowl and on the float if it was stored with fuel in the carb. This needs to be removed. You also may want to inspect the condition of the fuel in the tank and make sure the bottom of the tank is clean and the sides of the tank have no rust on them. Believe it or not walmart has what I have found to be the best carb cleaner. House brand at a dollar a can. Been using it for years now. Better wear gloves when using it and don't get it in your eyes.
Have fun with that stinky fuel.

"Sorry, I don't know how b

"Sorry, I don't know how but I totaly missed the big heading of the engine model. I just hate getting old."

I have this same model engine

I have this same model engine except it is a 1978
I am trying to replace the orgional tachometer with a new Teleflex blue vector for O/B. I keep hearing about the number of POLES a engine has is very important for this tach repalcement and settings to work properly---can anyone tell me the number of poles on this johnson and the correct model number of the Teleflex blue vector to buy?
Thanks

Back