Logo

69 6HP Johnson with busted Steering Bracket

P

Peter Hine

" I have a '69 Johnson 6 t

" I have a '69 Johnson 6 that has a broken "ear" on the pivot point on the steering bracket where the tiller handle connects to the bracket. The tiller is essentially inop. I found a replacement bracket from a parted-out motor, and I've got an original OMC Service Manual for the motor. The manual is unclear whether I need to remove the powerhead from the lower unit assembly to replace the bracket. If I do, the manual says I need a flywheel puller (which I don't have. I'm OK when I'm changing plugs, but I get frustrated changing lower unit oil. I've never even changed the water pump impeller myself. Pulling the powerhead has me more than a little concerned, especially with a motor this old, where I can't just go to the local dealer to get parts. (In fact, the local dealer says he won't work on motors this old!) Is the steering bracket replacement something a fumble-fingers like me can think about doing in a couple hours without special tools? "

" Peter.... The throttle handl

" Peter.... The throttle handle assy connects to the steering bracket. I assume that you're speaking of the steering bracket, and the broken portion is the area where the handle connects to the bracket.

There is absolutely no need to remove the flywheel but you will have to remove the powerhead. Look under the lower hood pan and you will see the screws/bolts that attach the powerhead. First, carefully remove the manual starter handle (keep a grip on the cord so that it doesn't rewind), then carefully feed that cord inside the pan and tie the still wound cord to the top of the manual starter or some point on the powerhead (this keeps the starter spring wound to save time and trouble). Disconnect the fuel line (at the fuel pump) that leads from the fuel connector to the fuel pump. Remove the choke knob/lever and pull off the slow speed needle valve knob.

Now, remove those screws/bolts I mentioned that retain the powerhead and remove it. Reverse the procedure to install the powerhead and use a new gasket. Good Luck...

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Back