Logo

Weak Spark on 1977 200hp Johnson V6

szaffino

"Hello, I'm new here and t

"Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post.

So here is my problem. Last weekend I launched my boat for the first time and it died on me after running for about 5 minutes.

Last year I replaced the stator and all 6 coils were replaced this year, but I still have a weak spark. I'm not sure if I have burned out the stator again or if I should start looking somewhere else.

The boat has always been a major pain to get started when the engine is cold but once it has been running for a couple of minutes, it's great. No too sure if this is relevant but I thought I would mention it.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks"

"Hard starting could simply be

"Hard starting could simply be your method of starting.

Should be: Primer bulb pumped up hard, throttle applied somewhat (1/4-1/3 throttle), crank engine while engaging choke, when engine starts release key from START to ON position and release choke.

If the above is your method, possibly the carburetors are fouled and require cleaning/rebuilding.

Spark.... remove spark plugs. Check spark which should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP.

If this does not exist, disconnect the large RED electrical connector at the engine and recheck the spark. If you now have the proper spark, I'd suspect either a intermitent shorted ignition switch or wiring harness.

NOTE... The engine must be turning over at least 300 rpm in order to engage the ignition/powerpack properly. If engine cranks over slow, correct that problem first."

Back