Logo

Lower unit seal questions

I

I Miss Fishin

"Motor = Johnson 20R69B (1

"Motor = Johnson 20R69B (1969, 20hp) - I am resealing this motor's lower unit and have purchased a Sierra gear housing seal kit on this site (p/n 18-2684).
As I am comparing the parts in the kit to the parts in the lower unit I have some questions:
1. The seal that goes under the water pump seems to be much thinner than the original. The old one is about 5/16" high. The new one is about half that Is that OK. And there are 2 of them. Do I need both as in do I pile one on top of the other? If not, which direction does the seal go? Does the spring face toward the gearcase or away.
2. There are 2 shift rod gaskets, but only one o-ring. Do I need both gaskets? Also the new one, is a little loose around the shift rod. As I peer into the gearcase, it looks like the old one is snug around the rod. Is this OK?
3. There are 2 propshaft seals. I've pried the lid off the propshaft bearing unit and can see only one seal. Did someone accidently add 2 of these seals to the kit?
4. The long thin round seal that goes between the gearcase upper and lower appears to be thinner than the old. When installing the new one do I keep to the inside of the channel or the outside or let it wobble between the inside and out?

Sorry for the length of this request. Hopefully someone out there can help."

"not sure about your specific

"not sure about your specific application but I know from experience that many repair kits contain items that you dont need since many kits contain parts for many different motors--
for example, i recently rebuilt the carb on my 62 johnson--the kit contained a small spring for the needle valve--only thing is, this carb has a float that drops down to open the valve and floats up to close it--so the spring was unnecessary--it also included several "O" rings that I didnt need--many kits contain parts that you dont need--simply use what you need and save or discard the rest--
tom"

"I've seen the excess part

"I've seen the excess parts thing before, but the thin driveshaft seal that looks like 2 of them could go in the same recess as the old is what really concerns me. Do both go in and which way do the seals face?"

"Both seals, back to back. One

"Both seals, back to back. One with spring towards the pump, the other spring down."

As Morten said. Reason is one

As Morten said. Reason is one keeps the water in the pump and the other keeps the gear lube in the gear case. If you look at the old seal it will have 2 seals in it.Both facing the center.Same with the propshaft seals only one seal keeps the water from the outside from entering the gear case. As for the shift rod seal it should not be loose or water will pass into the gear case. Check that there is not another seal that you may have missed for the shift rod.

Back