Logo

350 HP Marine Power Corp

fire_guy

"I have twin2003, 350 HP Marin

"I have twin2003, 350 HP Marine Power corp 454's motors with less then a hundred hours on each. They were installed in 2003. I have problems with both motors I believe and I'm looking for a direction to start off on on the fix. The starboard motor is showing black soot even after the carb had been adjusted correctly, I'm told by my mechanic? The port is also showing a small amount of white smoke. I would like to see where my trouble is comoing from. I have had the boat since May and I'm looking to correct the trouble. Should I start with compression test of all 16 cylenders? I have changed all fuel filters and plugs. I don't understand with less then 100 hours how this can happen?

Dennis"

"Start there. Those are damn

"Start there. Those are damn good engines with a great reputation, so hang in there.

Jeff"

"OK, all cylinders have great

"OK, all cylinders have great compression and are within spec, as expected with such low hours on them. Changed Plugs, Caps & Roders. No more black smoke but fuel consumption runs very high on the port motor when running over 3000 rpms. It seems when the four barrel kicks in the problem begins. Holly Carb, fuel jets changed and float adjusted. Still one motor is burning almost twice as much fuel as the other at 3500 rpms. Any suggestions?

Thank You,
Dennis"

Back