Logo

350OMC No Power Wonbt hold idle at less than 1200 RPM

bdonald

"I've replaced the fuel pu

"I've replaced the fuel pump, bypassed the gas tank, installed a new carburetor, new wires, plugs, distributor cap, rotor, coil and converted to electronic igintion from points.

My boat holds idle if I set it at 2000 rmp. Then after 20 seconds or so it drifts down to 1500. Will also only provide enough power for displacement speed. Also it was eating points, so I changed over to an electronic ignition."

Not quite sure if You are talk

Not quite sure if You are talking Cobra or stringer.
Did You check the springs for the weights in the distributer?
Which carburetor do You have?
What is Your idle timing setting?

"The model is a Cobra. I confi

"The model is a Cobra. I confirmed that the advance weights are not frozen in place, and they return to position when I move them.

Regarding idle timing. I set the timing with engine running at 1500 rpm to 8 degree BTC. However, I assume setting the timing at 1500 rpm is not accurately timing the engine. Given the engine speed.

Also, found the starboard valve cover was rusted through when I investigated an engine leak. I thought perhaps the head gasket was blown but realized the oil leak was coming from valve cover area. I have never seen a valve cover rust through. I suspect this why I could not get the engine to idle below 1200 rpm at best! Not sure if this would explain the loss of power."

"Your ignition sounds screwy.

"Your ignition sounds screwy. Switch back to points, set idle and timing and then see if anything changes. If eating points then you have a bad condenser or possibly faulty coil. Get new points and condenser.

Timing needs to be set around 600rpm. If at 1500rpm the timing may be starting to advance already, which means you have to retard it to get it set. When RPM drops your timing may be too late (hense not being able to idle below 1500rpm or so)."

If your boat has a ballast res

If your boat has a ballast resistor that could also be the reason your points were getting cooked.

Back