Logo

Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

K

Keivn Heitz

"Restoring a 1976 Bayliner wit

"Restoring a 1976 Bayliner with a Volvo Penta 280 outdrive. I have got the engine all going fine and am working on the boat itself, the sterndrive is next.

Drained and replaced the oil in the stern drive and have now noticed small amount of fresh oil leaking out of the exhaust area.

Based on this will need to open up the sterndrive to check seals, etc. and possibly overhaul it or could this result from a little overfilling. Ant comments or suggestions would be very appreciated. It ran fine 10-12 years ago but has been parked outside since,

Thanks"

"Maybe the o-ring between the

"Maybe the o-ring between the intermediate housing and the lower unit is defective? That would not be difficult to fix. 12 years of inactivity is a long time. Hopefully, it is not a case of wastage leading to a perforated casing either in the intermediate housing or in the lower unit."

"Thanks for the reply. As I l

"Thanks for the reply. As I looked over the repair manuals, I started thinking the same thing about the o-rings.

One more question...looking at the Clymer manual, it says in order to remove the lower unit, you need to remove the entire outdrive from the boat. Is that really necessary? It seems like I could just "drop" the lower unit from the outdrive, replace the o-ring and then lift it back up to the intermediate housing and put the screws back in. The repair manual mentions you have to fit the lower unit and intermediate together very accurately and carefully. Would it be possible to put them together with the outdrive on the boat?"

"If the boat has been sitting

"If the boat has been sitting for this long time I think You should remove the drive, change the joint bellow and have the shaft splines lubricated!"

Back