Logo

Force 150 hp 1991

kim_cilley

Hello. My husband & I are

Hello. My husband & I are considering buying a 1991 Bayliner Rendezvous deck boat with a 1991 Force engine. I have spoken to 1 boat dealer who didn't speak highly of the performance or life span of this particular motor and also said that you can no longer get parts for it. Can anyone tell me any more about this engine? Thank you!!

"Ummm.... the motor's last

"Ummm.... the motor's lasted 15 years already hasn't it. With TLC there's no reason it can't go another 15 or more.

Dealers have different motivations than just selling A boat. He/she may have several reasons upto and including selling you a more expensive craft that you may bring to him/her many times for maintenance.

In a nutshell: The motor and it's 125/135/140 brethren have a long history of being dependable motorsz.

It really isn't a high-performing engine, but are you planning to race it? I doubt the average person could tell the difference between 140 hp Force and a 140 Merc or OMC.

The critical item in your decision making is maintenance: a) Who will maintain it and b) where will the parts come from.

Parts ARE available - see mercruiserparts.com for what is available for your motor. You'll have to investigate for how long they'll continue to be available. Another reason not to trust your dealer -- if he doesn't know that parts are availble, he's not very smart.

With a service manual, you should be able to maintain the motor yourself. If not, make sure you know of a reputable shop (not the one who's just given you the advice!) that will work on a non-mainstream engine."

"Kim,

These engines are no

"Kim,

These engines are no longer in production, so parts are becoming extremely expensive and tough to find.

Mercury does show most parts as available, but all of the ignition parts are actually from Rapair/CDI, a very good rebuilder/manufacturer. If you need to purchase these components, they are much cheaper if bought directly from Rapair.

We do work on Force engines, but we advise people not to purchase them. In my opinion they are poorly designed in just about every department.

They tend to be labor intensive, so that if you need to have professionals work on them, they are more expensive to maintain.

Aside from all of that, I would say that you are taking a big risk when you buy any engine that is fifteen years old. You should look for something newer.

Stick with Mercury, Johnson and Evinrude.

Tony"

looking for a flywheel for my

looking for a flywheel for my 1994 force outboard 5 cy 206 396 5390

Back