Logo

Saltwater

bf253

I live in Connecticut and am l

I live in Connecticut and am looking to purchase a used I/O bow rider. I have heard you should stay away from boats that are used in saltwater. I know zip about I/O and would like to know what to look out for. Thanks.

"Salt water is incredibly corr

"Salt water is incredibly corrosive to metal. Even high grade stainless steel suffers in a marine enviorment. Generally speaking, you heard right."

"I would avoid raw water coole

"I would avoid raw water cooled engines run in salt water. Exhaust manifolds don't last very long in salt water. There are some fresh water cooled I/Os but they are not very common. Boats that stay in the water all season may be prone to electrically induced corrosion on the lower unit. Avoid anything with pitting on the lower unit itself. A boat kept on a trailer can be in fine shape. I've owned I/Os, inboards and outboards that were run in salt water. Conditions will vary widely depending on how they were used and maintained. Look for a meticulous prior owner.

The 2 happiest days in the life of a boat owner are: The day he buys it and the day he sells it.
Good Luck.
Chuck"

Go west young man. Two states

Go west young man. Two states to the left is a safe start.

Back