Logo

1994 Johnson 150

M

MarkFields

"I have a 1994 Johnson Fast St

"I have a 1994 Johnson Fast Strike 150. It leaks 2-stroke oil down the outside of lower unit after about 2 days of storage. I fished more than 12 tourneyments last year and realized I never used more than a gallon of oil. I have now parked it. I have read about VRO pumps on this year and model. Any Ideas to maybe save a few pennies before I spend this $700 for VRO replacement. can not tell where the leak is coming from.

Symptoms - Boat idles real rough, give her the gas and she goes with no missing, lost about 500 rpm on wot. Uses tons of gas now (8 gallons every 18 Miles) and no noticeable oil usage when I marked the tank. Please help....I missed the last 2 tournaments."

Every boat that I have ever bo

Every boat that I have ever bought came with the VRO disconnected. Now I know why!

"I would check for the oil lea

"I would check for the oil leak, before I started replacing/disconnecting the VRO. The average oil consumption is about 2% so the calculation should be easy to make. I suggest that you perhaps clean out the oil tank, lines etc and check for "gel' oil which is normally caused by water in the oil tank. The only 'sensible' reason to me to disconnect the VRO is if You want to use high grade bio oil and go down to 1% when trolling."

"It is also very hard to start

"It is also very hard to start, unless I put new plugs in it. after a few uses it takes a while, primed, not primed etc.

I cleaned the oil tank out, put new on line all the way through prior to posting this. I have been told the membrane may need replaced is all that it is bad allowing gas to go into my oil injection thus thinning down my oil is why I still use oil but not nearly enough."

"If the engne didi not get eno

"If the engne didi not get enough oil, it would probably have seized up long time ago.
The oil on the outside of the lower unit may be from the exhaust system, unburnt carbon/oil.
Your starting problem is puzzeling.Does your quick-start system work?
Are You using QL78YC plugs?"

"I am not using those plugs.

"I am not using those plugs. I was going today to buy some new plugs, I have champion in their now. It runs fine once you are on the throttle. What brand of plug is that QL78YC?

The oil comes from the front of the engine only have a few days of storage. It looks to be straight 2-stroke oil. I haven't torn it apart but it's not visible from removing the cover and breather. It runs down from the under side of the front the motor and down to the ground. The local machanic states its (VRO Pump)not releasing pressure then leaks it out after a couple of days. Supposedly very common since this is the factor VRO pump. He states he can't believe it has lasted for 14 years.

I really appreciate the quick response and help. I can work on cars but hate to even think about working on this."

"Also, how can you test the qu

"Also, how can you test the quick start? Sorry I am such a rookie. I bought this boat from my father-in-law who bought it new. I have had it four years and only do minor preventive maintenance. I use it at least twice a month where he hardly used it at all."

"QL78YC is the recomended Cham

"QL78YC is the recomended Champion for theeses engines, all other plugs gives a bad idle.!
Your mechanichs statement sounds a bit odd, but who knows, he might be right. However there is no oil pressure anywhere when the engine does not run! The only place I might think it may be leaking is from the vapor chamber. If two stroke oil is leaking it must come from somewhere else, perhaps a recirculation hose or similar.
Quick start:
The engine advances the ignition when cold, below 36C which gives a higher idling during warm up. You should note a idle rpm drop after a minute or so depending on sea temp. From the starter solnoid a signal wire re/yellow goes to the power pack. Whenever you engage the starter there will be a signal to the power pack to activate quick start. On Your port side temp sensor there are two wires coming out, the black/white goes to the power pack and turns off the quick start when the engine reaches 36C. How to test.
1: Start the engine when cold and note if the idle rpm drops after some time from 1100 to 850 aprox.
2:Take the signal wire to the pp off the start relay, and disconnect the temp switch. Start the engine hot or cold. Take a short test wire -one end to B+ and then short touch to the red/yellow signal wire to the PP. The idle rpm should encrease. Take the same test wire and connect between the white/black from the pp and to ground, the quick start should go off. If quick start goes on but not off, do the ground test, the temp sensor may be defective. If quick start does not go on, the power pack may be defective OR the temp sensor is constant grounding!"

"Okay, I will try it testing t

"Okay, I will try it testing the quick start. I have QL77YC plugs. Just came in from looking over it real well. I checked the fuel filter (above the vro pump) for fuel color and it is definitely mixed fuel....that is a good sign. My father-in-law wasn't sure but I now know the vro pump isn't factory. It is the 4 wire pump (came with the 3 to my understanding) and the screws have definitely been removed. The head on the screws are scared up.
I will let you know how the quick start test works. Great info you have given me.
You don't think the VRO pump would/could allow fuel to be flowing into my oil injection lines deluting the oil? Which is causing the rapid fuel consumption all the sudden?"

"As far as I remember there sh

"As far as I remember there should be no filter after the pump, but before.
As for the encreased fuel consumption: If it goes through the engine, the plugs would foul down and plenty of smoke! This would indicate one or more flooding carb or problem in the vapor chamber. Otherwise there is a fuel leak somewhere on the pressure side of the pump."

"You were absolutely right. VR

"You were absolutely right. VRO tested out fine. Quick start is working properly, my bulb was going flat without realizing it. Smelled strong odor of fresh gas....low and behold.....fuel leak. Number 2 carb on the right side is leaking like crazy. Sure am glad I didn't let the shop charge me $700 for parts and labor on a new VRO. Thanks again Morten....you saved me some pennies. You have no Idea how greatful I am!"

Back