Logo

Plastic fuel tank rubber fuel lines amp grounding

cwebb

"I'm about to replace the

"I'm about to replace the two original 40-year-old steel fuel tanks in my 19foot I/O Stanray Traveler.

I'm looking at Tempo's plastic fuel tanks, but I see no way to ground the tank, other than simply grounding the sending-unit mounting-flange. Will this be sufficient for safety and any static discharge?

Also, the filler hose, running from the tank's neck to the filler-cap, is of the flexible rubber type, with an anti-kink steel spring inside. Is this type of hose intended to provide any ground-path?

And does standard 3/8" rubber fuel line provide a ground path? I've seen it mentioned that the fuel lines <u>should</u> be metal, but it seems that I often see rubber fuel line used. Does it matter in this case with plastic tanks?

I've searched to no avail for info about this 'grounding the fuel-tank' question - maybe I'm unnecessarily concerned?

Thanks anybody, for any light you can shed for me here."

"I'd think twice about goi

"I'd think twice about going to "plastic" fuel tanks with gasahol becoming so common--it tends to eat plastic tanks. Aluminum tanks don't have that problem, and there's the answer to your grounding problems.

Jeff"

"Yes, some fiberglass tanks ha

"Yes, some fiberglass tanks have resins that will dissolve with the ethanol being added to the gas. In light of this disturbing problem I'd want documentation from a reputable source verifying that it will withstand ethanol or I'd go to a metal tank."

"Thanks for your input guys.

"Thanks for your input guys.

Gasahol isn't compatible with plastic tanks?

That's pretty weird, I thought automotive tanks were usually plastic these days... No?

I'll have to contact Tempo and see what they say about the ethanol.

Perhaps they'll also have some input on my grounding questions."

"Yes, some turn to goo. Big pr

"Yes, some turn to goo. Big problem already. Laboratory tests confirm what is being seen on many boats. I'm sure manufacturers will quickly remedy the situation in the future but people buying tanks now or those with existing tanks should be aware."

"Several articles in Boat US m

"Several articles in Boat US magazine are telling of plastic tanks going away. Also, my marina (and others) are keeping busy replacing them.

Jeff"

"Verify what I am about to say

"Verify what I am about to say.. but, I would ground the guage sender flange to the filler and boat bonding system (not the dc or ac ground), via some tinned wire... so far as the "plastic" tanks failing due to ethanol, I believe that problem was limited to fibergalss."

Back