Logo

Faulty RegulatorRectifier Combo

"I have a 1989 OMC SeaDrive 11

"I have a 1989 OMC SeaDrive 115.The motor runs fine but my tach is messed up.The tach works fine up to 3000 rpm and when I gave it more gas the tach starts reading lower until I back down below 3000.Then it works fine again.
I checked continuity on reg/rect-it tested ok
I installed a brand new tach(set at 6 poles)-it worked up to 2000rpm and then would drop back to zero when given more gas and then would work alright again when I decreased the throttle below 2000.I returned the tach.
I then installed a 1/2 watt,2200 ohm resistor between the sender/ground terminals on the tach-it worked fine up to 3600rpm but would register no more even at wot.I throttle down below 3600 and it worked alright.
From Teleflex's site I performed 2 tests:1)You should have 12-16 volts DC at IGN and Ground terminals on the tach.I had 12 1/2 volts at fast idle-ok
2)On the Sender and Ground terminals you should have 3.5-5 volts AC at idle and 5-7 volts AC at 2000rpm.Mine had a reading of about 20 volts AC at idle up to 1400rpm.Would this high reading cause my tach to malfunction?"

"I think it has to be the rect

"I think it has to be the rectifier/regulator, but the stator may also be part of the problem.

Tony"

Back