Logo

Honda 50 Carb Problems

magoo

"I have a 95 Honda 50A. 2 yrs.

"I have a 95 Honda 50A. 2 yrs. ago when I bought the boat/motor I experienced carb problems and after several attempts at cleaning/rebuilding bought newe carbs and it ran great for two seasons. Now I'm experiencing the same coughing, hesitation problems. What am I doing wrong? Could it be the Ethanol in the gas. I do not have a water separator installed and the motor is started/used at least every 2 weeks. Thanks for your advice."

"Do you run some sort of carb

"Do you run some sort of carb cleaner through it. Another thing if you don't have it running every weekend the fuel in the carbs sets for to long and clogs up the jets, next time when you are getting ready to put it on the trailer, disconnect the fuel line and run all the gas out of the engine."

"First, check you fuel filter

"First, check you fuel filter and clean it, or replace if necessary. Second, run a good carb cleaner like SeaFoam through the system - very slowly pour about a half pint directly into the carb throat. Then pour the remainder in your gas tank. Third, install a fuel-water separator. Given the state of gasoline these days, I would consider it essential to install a fuel-water separator. You wouldn't believe the junk that gets into the gasoline, especially at marinas."

"Doesn't really matter whi

"Doesn't really matter which one you get, i got the one from walmart have never had a problem with it. It does what it is suppose to do, without the breaking of the wallet. Not to say that they are expensive or anything."

I agree with Just-In-Time - ha

I agree with Just-In-Time - have had good success with racor filters and I especially like the fact that you can drain them to inspect what's in the bottom of the filter and how much of it is there without having to remove the filter element.

"drain the carbs after every u

"drain the carbs after every use? The more I read from you the more I think youre full of sh*t!
If youre that good, how do you have time to make over 6000 posts......"

"kiehin carbs have very tiny p

"kiehin carbs have very tiny passageway
with the new gas and not using a symbolizer, within 2 weeks the gas is done

also they have 2 vents, so more air is getting into the float bowl"

"If I ever sold an engine out

"If I ever sold an engine out of my shop and told the guy he had to drain the carbs everytime he used it, what do you think he'd say.."

"Henderson - Since I've be

"Henderson - Since I've been on this site, Just-In-Time has given out a lot of very good, free advice to all comers. So, that comment about being full of it is totally uncalled for. He's one of the good guys, and helps a lot of mariners. Let's all keep this professional."

Wow who to trust someone that

Wow who to trust someone that posts good info and has over 6000 posts or someone who has in there 20's. Tough choice.

"yea, good call. Lets believe

"yea, good call. Lets believe everything we read on the net. If you wanna take sh*tty advice.. go right ahead. 6000 posts.. wow, he must have a lot of time on his hands. I closed down my shop for the holidays but when I open in Jan., I can promise you I wont have time to be on the computer all the time giving free mediocre advice. Once again, sorry for being so negative, I just think alot of people are gonna spend $ they dont need to spend.. hope you all have a great christmas and a happy new year... (not trying to be sarcastic)"

"What ever
It is the internet

"What ever
It is the internet
Im here to help, maybe not to full extent but it is free!"

"JUST-IN_TIME - There's on

"JUST-IN_TIME - There's one in every crowd. Thanks for all your help and keeping this site professional. As a 65 year old Army vet who finally has enough time to fish and take care of my fishing boat, I really appreciate all that you are contributing."

"I have been reading this boar

"I have been reading this board for a long time, as a result of this I have gained lots of information I never knew! I have only made one post asking for advice and was given it.
Dave, your post attacking just in time was uncalled for and not very pleasant.
I had to strip and clean my carbs when I first got my engine, the previous owner did not know how too. Now the engine runs great, but I always let the engine run out of fuel whilst I am mooring up and tidiying the boat, its no big deal but it does work, I have had over a year of trouble free running because of this.
Advice is free on here, so take the time to read and digest."

"Jerry, Just more about the dr

"Jerry, Just more about the drain fuel or not debate. I have 2 Yams on my charter boat, 200 & 9.9 HP. Never drain the fuel, but run a water seperator fuel filter on each fuel line and always use stabil during the off season when the gas sits for any length of time. Fire the engines up every 2 weeks to keep oil on the cylinders and bearings and move the fuel through the system. Never had any carb issues. My 200 HP is hard wired wired so to speak so removing the fuel line would be very time consuming. I did have to remove the fuel line on the 9.9 after each days use for about a week. I was having issues with fuel in the oil. After diagnosing the problem (not related to this topic) I had to replace the fuel line connector at the motor. I had damaged the O-ring inside the connector and it now allowed air into the line causing the engine to stall from lack of fuel. My 9.9 hangs on a bracket off the transom and seeing proper alignment of the fuel connector is tough and is the reason I screwed up the O-ring. I'll continue to leave the carbs full of fuel as I've done witrh this boat since 1992. Good luck"

RE: "My 200 HP is hard wir

RE: "My 200 HP is hard wired wired so to speak so removing the fuel line "... No fuel shut off ??? Thought one was required ????

"Robert, yes there is a fuel s

"Robert, yes there is a fuel shut off, but how hard is that on the fuel pumps? Trying to suck fuel on a line that is not vented. If the line allowed air from the backside I would say that the strain on the pump would be minimal running it dry. Try sucking a strawberry milkshake through a straw when a berry is lodged on the other end...same thing! The shut off valve is the berry. Like I said, I want to run the engine every 2 weeks anyway....I've seen how quickly surface rust starts on the cylinder walls without oil to protect them...don't like fogging the engine either. Ever heard the saying...that the worst thing for any boat is non-use. Cables seize, batteries go dead etc etc"

"On a engine with carbs, the f

"On a engine with carbs, the fuel pump spends a fair chunk of its life trying to pump against the closed float switch... which is pretty much the same as sucking against the closed fuel valve. Fuel pumps are designed to life happily when running but not moving fluid. They aren't piston style positive displacement pumps which would be unhappy with either the input or output blocked.

Re: Every two weeks... it depends. Rusting of the cylinders is not the issue. Repeated evaporation of a bowl full of fuel will eventually leave deposits within the bowl and in some of the smaller passages within the carb."

"I've replaced fuel pumps

"I've replaced fuel pumps (diaphrams) on every motor I've had in the past 15 years, they eventually tear. Never had a carb problem, other than adjusting jets between winter and summer running. (air density changes) I beleive having the proper filters inline and adding stabil have been the main reasons for my lack of problems related to the carbs."

Back