Logo

Powertech prop

gregd

"Tohatsu Guru,

What do you

"Tohatsu Guru,

What do you think about a 9.25 x 9 stainless steel Powertech prop for the Tohatsu 9.9, I mentioned in a earlier post ?

Do you find the ss too hard or a danger to the gears as stated earlier ?

Thanks,

Greg"

"In general, I'm against t

"In general, I'm against the use of SS props. People tend to buy SS with the idea that it will last longer or provide a solution to chipped aluminum props. That's the wrong way to look at at it. SS is a performance enhancer only and even then, only in specific applications. I can't think of an application on a 9.9 where SS would be a good idea unless you needed the extra 1 mph that it will give you and you only operated in deep water where there was no chance of hitting anything with it.

I wouldn't say it is a high risk to use one....But, there is risk and the possible benefit is slight.

I would call it a moderately bad idea."

"Thanks for the reply.

I pu

"Thanks for the reply.

I purchased a 07 G3 22'pontoon boat with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke. The dealer refused to sell me a ss prop. Gave me an extra alum. prop., for the same reason you stated.

I have always had ss props on other motors, never had any problems. I have hit many objects, logs, stumps, sandbars etc. I guess I have been lucky.

Another question; Using the Tohatsu 9.9 at WOT the tiller arm vibrates pretty bad. Could the old prop cause this ? It's not in the best of shape."

"Tohatsu Guru,

Many Thanks

"Tohatsu Guru,

Many Thanks for your time and all the info.

Greg
happy.gif
"

"If you are going to get the p

"If you are going to get the prop repaired or even buy new ask to repairer to add some cupping to the blades,It will give you noticeable more grip with the 9.9"

Back