Logo

1986 suzuki dt150

kenard

"bought an 86 dt 150. for some

"bought an 86 dt 150. for some reason it ran hot and melted overheat sensors. took the engine all apart. new pistons,rings,pump impellor,all new gaskets. put some temperature probes where the thermostats go. ran it and it still runs hot. when i pulled the temp probes out and let the water escape through the holes it cooled off. soon as i put my finger over the holes it starts to heat back up. please help me."

figured thet problem out. had

figured thet problem out. had the wrong head gaskets in it. now pumps water fine but when i back the boat in the water i have to trim the motor all the way up to start it. when running it pops real bad when i accelerate then dies. i checked timing it was fine. any clues.

"This could very well be a fue

"This could very well be a fuel pump diaphragm issue.

Even the smallest amount of damage (even a pin hole) can cause a fault often diagnosed as a timing problem.

Another tip for you is if you are idleing and give the engine throttle to get up on plane or pick up revs and the engine bogs and dies, try pushing in the key (choke switch)just before and as you throttle up. If the engine gains rpm its a fuel starvation condition as the engine goes from idle to low speed to midrange circuit (clogged carb passages)

try cleaning out the carbs. And check the idle/pilot fuel air mixture screw settings. For your model its 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns out from a lightly seated position."

didn't check the fuel pump

didn't check the fuel pump as yet. one thing i did find is 4 out of 6 of my reed valves are open on one side. they have a .025 gap and the book allows .008 max. will this cause to much fuel to get dumped.

Back