Logo

Honda 225 break in

"I don't have my manual wi

"I don't have my manual with me, but if my memory is correct it's 20 hours and do not exceed 5000 rpm. Then change engine oil and filter, change lower end oil, check fuel filter and fuel-water seperator filter, check timing and idle (650 rpm). Typically the dealer would and should do that."

"Here's the good word dire

"Here's the good word directly from Honda..

This should all be in your owners manual, that is unless you bought the motor in a back alley somewhere at a really really good price...

If you don't have the manual get one and read it more than once. Most 4 strokes end up as junk because owners fail to follow the recommended service "to the letter". A 4 stroke is not forgiving the way a 2 stroke is - neglect it and it will quickly turn into a few hundred pounds of scrap metal...

BREAK-IN PROCEDURE

Break-in period: 10 hours

Break-in operation allows the moving parts to wear-in evenly and thus ensures proper performance and longer outboard motor service life.

First 15 minutes:
Run the outboard motor at trolling speed. Use the minimum amount of throttle opening necessary to operate the boat at a safe trolling speed.

Next 45 minutes:
Run the outboard motor up to a maximum of 2,000 to 3,000 rpm or 10 %to 30 %throttle opening.

Next 60 minutes:
Run the outboard motor up to a maximum of 4,000 to 5,000 rpm or 50 % to 80 % throttle opening. Short bursts of full throttle are acceptable but do not operate the motor continuously at full throttle.

Next 8 hours:
Avoid continuous full throttle operation (100 % throttle opening). Do not run the outboard motor at full throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time.

For boats that plane easily, bring the boat up on plane then reduce the throttle opening to the specified break-in settings called out above."

Back