Logo

Could this be

"i agree w/david---albeit,he m

"i agree w/david---albeit,he may have mistated its exact yr...maybe he thought,it was a 2000.in any case,if it performs well,...i would'nt think twice,...a v6 overhaul here in texas can EASILY be 4000 and up ! IF its done right."

"A year 2000 Evinrude would be

"A year 2000 Evinrude would be a Ficht. All the carb motors were Johnsons from 1999 on. Either way, you're probably better off with the 98. Near the end of 2000, OMC was bankrupt. Quality control suffered the last year or so. When BRP took home the parts stock after the deal was closed, they threw out over half the parts because they didn't pass QC."

"Today I Finally took the boat

"Today I Finally took the boat out, after about 5 minutes of being in the water, an alarm came on, it is a beeping alarm and then the engine start to bog down, it is not overheating... When I bought the motor they advised me that the VRO has been disabled and that I needed to mix my fuel 50:1, I was reading here some where that if the VRO harness is still hooked up to the Pump it will go off and try to stop the motor by reducing fuel as a precaution and that sounds like that is what mine is doing I’m not sure if the plug is still hooked up to the VRO, I'll take it out to the lake tomorrow.. any pointers???"

"the vro cant slow the eng dow

"the vro cant slow the eng down......ck to see that the oil inlet on eng pan,or at pump,is capped off,and that the elect wires are disc from vro about a ft away fr it..i would make damn sure its not overheating...then look to fuel sys,spark/compression."

"I'm doing something wrong

"I'm doing something wrong trying to post a question, it doesn't show up after post message is hit. So here you go out of topic, my 20" transom nitro bassboat (1992 Fish and ski) ran fine with a Force 120hp 20" outboard. I removed it and used it on another boat, installed a 25" Johnson 115, and now it won't plane without a lot of nose weight added and it's splashing a lot, drag, and steering is stiff. I've schedule a 5" lift kit to be installed in January, should I also be concerned about the added weight of a 25" shaft, or is it a sure thing once the lift kit is installed, my issues are resolved?"

"A channel dredging boat now<[

"A channel dredging boat now
222248.jpg
Could it get on plane with a prop with less pitch, more area, less rake?"

"JWB, I doubt its overheating,

"JWB, I doubt its overheating, this started to happen about 5-10 minutes after I started it, the stream of water is steady and it is not hot, the heads/motor is warm to the touch, just warm... I don’t know how bad is bad but don’t think it shakes bad at all, one thing I noticed is that if I pump the bulb it will try to keep going but the beeping continues until I shut down and re start the motor and about a minute later the beeping starts again (bad pump indication) however I have not check if the cables are disconnected from the VRO, the marina that installed the motor for me installed a new remote with a new harness "plug and play” he stated... so I’m about 100% sure the wires from the VRO are connected, I’m headed out to the lake in about 30 minutes to give it another shot... I'll check and make sure the wires are disconnected and that the VRO oil inlet is plugged…. the VRO being connected would not make the motor act funny would it??? The wires are only for the alarm right? Would that trigger the SLOW mode???"

"Man I’m so frustrated that so

"Man I’m so frustrated that some times I just want to give up, after $4300 for a motor and $2414 for installation and parts… you know I should have a decent running boat… I’m so tired of getting screwed I don’t get it, I go to work every day and my boss expects nothing but 100% of me every single day, I don’t understand why my mechanics don’t do the job right, I figure after $2414 that he made off me the least he could do its test the motor on a tank or dyno to make sure every thing works as it should don’t you guys think??? Today after the trip to the lake I was so frustrated that I just wanted to give up boating, but I love the feeling of the boat as it planes… well this is what happened at the lake, I disconnected the VRO Connection and of course the beep signal went away, however the problem stayed there, it took me about 15 minutes to get the thing started cranking and cranking and more cranking it finally fired up to rough idle…then it was just a nightmare to get it out of the “no wake” zone, once out I gave it some throttle, to which it died I stated trying the pump the bulb trick and I was able to keep it running, I was able to get it to about ~3000 RPMs but still little rough and it would die right after I stopped pumping the bulb…yeah it sounds like it needs a new pump… can I go manual on this one or go back to VRO, I don’t have the tank or lines or anything for the VRO as the system had been disabled before I bought the motor… you guys think that is the problem?? I don’t want a buy a $50-60 manual pump that won’t work on my motor (98 Johnson) just to turn around and have to buy a VRO…. VROs are about ~$300 plus about 2 hours labor a about $600 dollars total…. I’m tired of spending money I want to be able to play with my boat, I know boating is expensive but SHUT $6714 dollar and my boat still don’t run…. That is not including what I paid for the boat ($4500) and I spent about $700 on parts and stuff for the old twin 115 Mercs the boat had before I gave up on them and bought the Johnson nightmare… any advice will be appreciated along with encouragement would be appreciated…Hey I think this is the first time I actually want somebody to feel sorry for me….."

on the new motor?

what ever

on the new motor?

what ever came out of that?

the installer chould have at the very least started it i would be having a talk with him also.

if the seller wont budge and the new motor needs work and you were lied to about the year and brand. i would talk to a lawyer and get a LOT of my money back.......and the mech/shop should also have some answering to do about shotty work.

"Yeah on the 1998 Johnson...th

"Yeah on the 1998 Johnson...the dealer had me convinced that I'm getting a good deal and he would work something out with me, we just have not talked about any details. I think it was an actual mistake in his part selling me and Johnson instead of an Evenrude, but if the pump is bad I hope he gives me a new one…. about the marina you know I’m starting to think that they don’t know what they are doing, he did start the motor for me, but as we all know that is just a formality, most engines will run on flushing devices….because there is no back pressure even when only 4 out of 6 cylinders are firing...(one of my old Mercs did that.. it would even rev up high, but in the water it would just die when put on forward gear)"

"Yeah,.....and now it is time

"Yeah,.....and now it is time to post the name of this Florida dealer you bought it from....

Who are you trying to protect?
You come here crying for help, wanting ppl to feel sorry for you...and then for some strange sense of your definition of "right and wrong" you refuse to possibly educate some other poor bastard of a potential problem with a specific "dealer".

Good. Real good."

"Easy guy easy, lay off the Re

"Easy guy easy, lay off the RedBull...don't try to push me around... if you are not going to help keep your comments to yourself, I have no reason to bash anybody until I know what I’m talking about, I hate to run my mouth w/o being right...If indeed they deserve it their time will come I promise who know he might even fly to AZ and set my motor straight after all this is Christmas…HoHoHo"

"Totally agree. There is alway

"Totally agree. There is always two sides to every story. So before we go trashing someone who may have made an honest mistake, let's not fry them on here.

If the dealer "makes it right", I would hope that everyone who is ready to hang him will suck back and give him his due for decent customer service - even on a used motor..."

"i agree 100 %---the person,th

"i agree 100 %---the person,that placed it on ebay,..is prob not the person that serviced it,and knows about it."

"Hmmm...

Looks like I am al

"Hmmm...

Looks like I am all alone on this one....
Lets see...
nicknack2 bought a used motor on EBay for 4000 bucks, advertised as a 2000 model Evinrude. What he got was a motor pieced together...a rebuilt powerhead with unknown history, the lower engine from 1998, a Johnson according to the model number, and an Evinrude engine cover. And this was all pieced together by a Florida dealer and sold as a 2000 Evinrude on EBay. But no one ever gets ripped off on EBay, right?

I wonder what the other side of the story could possibly be?
I don't want to trash the "dealer". I just want to know who it was so I can avoid him. You guys can buy all the motors you want from him.

Oh, and by the way....I am fully aware that NOW I will never know the name...

I am sensitive to this exact issue/attitude as I have had it happen to me in the past. It was a case of others knowing about the criminal activities of an individual, and failing to warn ME until I was relieved/conned out of $50,000.
They said nothing. Just like nicknack2 is doing.
Anyone want to know the name of this individual? It is Jeffrey Dewayne Chandler, out of Mooresville, NC, and he is now in prison. So you see, I am unafraid to come out with the information. It is a long shot, but maybe because of this post, someone will be spared a large financial loss in the future by avoiding Mr. Chandler.

nicknack2 could save someone else from going thru what he has just experienced.

Just my STRONG opinion, and I will not change it."

"The scenario could be as foll

"The scenario could be as follows. "Joe" buys a nice shiny new 1998 Johnson from the dealer. At year three with it still under warranty he toasts the powerhead. OMC/BRP determines it was a factory defect and offers Joe a remanufactured 2000 powerhead (or whatever). Joe takes the deal. He also replaces his busted motor cover with an Evinrude cover that some guy had for sale real cheap.

A couple years later he sells the motor to a dealer/reseller or just some guy. He tells this dealer it's a 2000 Evinrude (which is totally possible that's what the powerhead is) with a couple hundred hours on it. The dealer looks, it's got an Evinrude cowl and the motor runs.

He lists at the "going rate" for a 200 horse motor, 8 years old, in Florida, and posts it on Ebay.

We don't know if he tested it, checked it out, or if they even have service at their dealership (which maybe a "real" dealer or could be something run out of a garage) - or if he simply took the word of the guy he obtained it from.

Now, if that's what he did, you would expect that he would convey that - "untested motor - reported to be a 2000 Evinrude - runs well, but no compression tests etc etc done).

My only point is, at this point we have one side of the story and that is not enough to trash someones reputation.

If this dealer basically tells Nicknack "tough", you bought it "as is" or whatever, then yes, his name should be broadcast accross every board and a small aircraft should be hired to fly a banner telling the world what a schmuck the dealer is. But you really have to give him a chance to correct the error first.

I would rather deal with someone who is willing to make the situation "right", than simply tell the world how bad this guy is and end up with a problematic motor..."

"this keeps going on and on an

"this keeps going on and on and on here are my
2_cents.gif

this dealer in question should have well known
what it was ,did he misrepresent what he was selling,or did he not>? the distinctive J on the
tag should have been enough to send a red flag,
seeing an evinrude hood on it,as those items were
never mentioned in the sale,eaven if it was a rebuilt powerhead it is still a 1998 model.do any of the professionals here do buisness like that?
anything i would spend that kind of money on better have everything in the right places,
or its going back to where it came from,
and then only to hear it is a problem,alarms going off e.t.c.
this whole thing sounds shady..
i am interested as to how this story will end,
cant bash that guy yet,but i gonna check out some of these dealers on ebay,i am sure he has more than one up for bid."

"Yes Charles....there are abou

"Yes Charles....there are about four regular Florida dealers on EBay.
It was probably one of them.
And you guys are right, there are two sides to every story. Maybe nicknack2 will enlighten us with the other side more than he has to date. He has been very silent regarding the discussions with this dealer. As you say, we don't know the other side...what is the truth on the saga of this motor?

But is is really stinky."

"What’s stinky??? I'm talk

"What’s stinky??? I'm talking to the dealer, I paid him in full for the motor and believe me the day he don’t pick up the phone and ignores me I will post his name and his business name in all known forums all over the internet and then will report him to the better business bureau, I’m almost sure that my financial institution (USAA) have some kind of fraud protection, but at this stage of the problem I'm still working the issues with the dealer, you don’t have to like the way I do business, that is my business and my business only, I understand your concern but at this time why should I get ahead of my self and may be ruin my relationship with the dealer, remember I’m many many many miles away from him and he can make my life miserable if he want to so I’m taking it easy for now but will take action if needed as soon as is needed…"

"Just so you get an idea of th

"Just so you get an idea of the character of the person I'm dealing with here is what I wrote and below is his answer...

Hi XXXXXX… Is me Nicknack2, How are you? How is the training going? Well here is what I got, the pictures of the cables and Remote Control are attached, also I finally got the boat in the water, and it runs nothing like you told me it would, it runs really rough at idle, it idles for a few seconds and then dies. On the first day out in the water I was able to run it on forward gear for about 30 seconds only and then it dies, that was after it took me about 15 minutes to get it to start, the motor runs very rough, I was never able to get it to even get up to 2000 RPMs, all the lines are tight, no air present in the lines, the tank is a new clean external tank with fresh fuel mixed a 50:1, but as soon as I put it in gear the warning alarm goes off (beeping no oil) I understand that the VRO is disabled, but is seems as if the fuel pump is not working (pumping the fuel primer bulb helps the engine to stay idling). I hope you understand where I’m coming from with this, I paid you over $4000 dollars for the motor, prop and controllers as you can see the controller are bad, the prop was a used one, you told me the motor would be serviced and ready to use as you said it would be a turn key motor in good shape hassle free. I paid the marina $2414 to get the motor installed, man I have spent more than $6500 dollars and still can have the motor running nowhere close to right. I think you are a good person and that you understand exactly where I’m coming from with this and that it is not fair for me to pay so much money to have a non working motor don’t you think?, it has been just too many things, you told me you would sell me a year 2000 25 in 200hp Evinrude and I received a 1998 200hp Johnson, you said that the power head has been factory rebuild and that Evinrude and Johnson are the same thing, but that is besides the point, I paid for an item and you sent me something else, at this point I just want you to help me to get the motor to run right, you know I’m an honest person I work for the Department of Homeland Security under U.S. Customs, I do honest work and don’t fool nobody, man and all I want is your help to solve my issues with the motor, I’m not asking you for money back on the motor (even when I received something which is not what I bought), all I want is your help, and a refund or credit on the remote control and cables( If you think is fair, I know you a are a businessman and will look out for your best interest, but I leave that to you) we don’t need to go any further with this, I want you and me to solve this problem.

Can we work this out?

XXXXXX Wrote:

Hello Nicknack2, yes I agree we are both honest and hard working people , I have been in the Military since 1987, hopefully you have read our feedback comments on eBay 100 %and can see for yourself that we are not in the business of fooling people either. The training is going fine two more months and I will be back home. The facts are the engine was a running take off we detailed and serviced the engine as stated, I believe we sent you a video of the engine running. Yes the engine has been sitting for a while and it could have accumulateded varnish/dirt in the carbs but don't think that is the problem.The first thing to check is to make sure the oil pump cannon plug was not connected at the dealer/shop that installed your engine because if they hooked it up and the pump is mechanically disconnected it will give you an alarm and trigger the oil pump safety circuit which will cut power to the engine and not let the engine rev up. Second, check the position on the electric choke solenoid mechanical lever. It is a red knob located on the choke body it should be parallel to the body of the choke assembly. Third, make sure that your primer bulb is a new bombardier bulb. Primer bulbs have internal check valves that get stuck and will not flow gas. It is also frustrating for me not to be able to help you diagnose the engine as it is not in my shop.This is the reason we do not warranty engines we do not install in our shop, I would assume the shop were you took it started/ops checked the engine after they installed it to make sure everything was correctly installed and that the engine started and shifted correctly? Unfortunatelyly this is the reason we sell our engine as is because of passed experienceses when dealing with similarar situations, Ex. the engine is running great when it leaves the shop the customer takes it to another mechanic and all of a sudden the engine develops a problem, when we sell our engines locally we give a minimum of 90 day warranty so we can take care of any issue that may arise, we all know when you deal with outboard engines anything is possible even with new engines. I also asked one of my guys about the engine and they looked at the invoice and said the actual cost of the engine was $2975.00. It was 4K including the rigging, prop, a new step ladder, shipping and crate service, we delivered the engine to the crate company in Miami free of charge. Hector, I will be home for Christmas, I will go to the shop and look at your file and see how much we can give you back for the rigging. Again, I know you are honest and nice guy and I wish you were a local customer so we could work on your boat, it would not spend more than a day in the shop and your issues would be resolved as they are minor, We have built many project boats and know how expensive and frustrating it can be before all the bugs can be Ironed out. I apologize for the inconveniencece and will try to help you with any questions you may have. Please call us before swapping out any parts. Thank you and Merry Christmas."

"'Interesting' discuss

"'Interesting' discussion, but obviously nothing that might give You a working engine. As far as i get it, You are not too familiar with Johnson/Evinrude engines. Giving the multiple carb system etc, etc,I think I would suggest:
Send the whole package to a registered BRP dealer and pick it up when engine works, or return the engine with a Christmas letter from Your lawyer claiming full refund."

Back