Logo

Nissan 5hp 4 exhaust question

bbn30308

"I have a 5HP nissan that came

"I have a 5HP nissan that came with my sailboat, and it has been a very reliable motor for me. I keep the carb clean, oil changes regularly, and change out the impeller and plug every year. I have one problem that bothers me, though. I notice some exhaust smoke near where the motor mount on the shaft is (especially at higher RPMS). There is also some play when the motor shifts FWD and REV. I have the maintenance manual, but where should I start troubleshooting this? I have the motor in the shed to do yearly maintenance, so now is a good time, I just dont know where to start looking for a bad/loose seal, whatnot. Thanks! -brad"

"Do you have a service manual

"Do you have a service manual or an owners manual? Regardless, exhaust leaks are rare, but you would start by determining where, exactly, on the engine the exhaust is coming from.

Play is a relative term. You might have a rubber or plastic bearing failure on the swivel bracket that lets the engine rock a little too much when shifted. But, a certain amount of play is normal on an outboard as the bearings act as shock absorbers. Also keep in mind that one-cylinder engines vibrate a lot normally so you may not have a problem at all."

"I have the service manual and

"I have the service manual and the owners manual. The exhaust (or some other smoke) appears to be coming from near/under the collar that has the tilt/trim and mounting screws. I can't be sure until I look closer while it is on my motor stand at home - on the boat it is a little awkward to get close. But it definitely there and has been all summer. I noticed it while running it at high rpms, but now it does it all the time. I'll check the parts around the swivel bracket as well for wear or failure - thanks for pointing that out."

your bolts tight tg is right

your bolts tight tg is right leaks are rare i would pull it out of the water and run it in a test barrel if its a small dont worry i got a 5hp welded on 3.5 mid it has a few small leaks i just ignore them

Back