Logo
Click for Nissan Tohatsu Manuals, and Parts!

Default "I have a 5HP nissan that came

"I have a 5HP nissan that came with my sailboat, and it has been a very reliable motor for me. I keep the carb clean, oil changes regularly, and change out the impeller and plug every year. I have one problem that bothers me, though. I notice some exhaust smoke near where the motor mount on the shaft is (especially at higher RPMS). There is also some play when the motor shifts FWD and REV. I have the maintenance manual, but where should I start troubleshooting this? I have the motor in the shed to do yearly maintenance, so now is a good time, I just dont know where to start looking for a bad/loose seal, whatnot. Thanks! -brad"

Default "Do you have a service manual

"Do you have a service manual or an owners manual? Regardless, exhaust leaks are rare, but you would start by determining where, exactly, on the engine the exhaust is coming from.

Play is a relative term. You might have a rubber or plastic bearing failure on the swivel bracket that lets the engine rock a little too much when shifted. But, a certain amount of play is normal on an outboard as the bearings act as shock absorbers. Also keep in mind that one-cylinder engines vibrate a lot normally so you may not have a problem at all."
    Elvin
    Solution One Maritime

Default "I have the service manual and

"I have the service manual and the owners manual. The exhaust (or some other smoke) appears to be coming from near/under the collar that has the tilt/trim and mounting screws. I can't be sure until I look closer while it is on my motor stand at home - on the boat it is a little awkward to get close. But it definitely there and has been all summer. I noticed it while running it at high rpms, but now it does it all the time. I'll check the parts around the swivel bracket as well for wear or failure - thanks for pointing that out."

wouldnt you like to kno, not sure, the usa

Default your bolts tight tg is right

your bolts tight tg is right leaks are rare i would pull it out of the water and run it in a test barrel if its a small dont worry i got a 5hp welded on 3.5 mid it has a few small leaks i just ignore them