Logo

Tilted engine will leak oil from top fill cap

madmaxx

"2 stroke 75hp mariner

when

"2 stroke 75hp mariner

when 3/4 tilted up the tilt creates leak thru filler cap, any idea on what would create a seal?
cork is too thick thinking maybe rubber bicycle tube, silicon gasket maker? suggestions?

also any idea where i can get a new cap or do i need to replace the one piece tank,

thx
maxx"

"I've known a piece of a c

"I've known a piece of a cereal box has been used before a seal. Works temporarily, however i wouldn't trust it."

Napa sells a gasket material a

Napa sells a gasket material assortment...I bought a new gasket from mercury...it still leaked...I made a replacement with the napa material and it was better but still leaked...I now use zip ties to hold the cover tighter and that works...I guess the housing is distorted...I have heard this is a common problem...next season I will either replace the entire tank or remove the oil injection

"yup, it's distorted and a

"yup, it's distorted and angle cut!

any how i pulled old gasket and relaced with a homemade doubled-up cork one (slightly thicher) that made it much tighter,thought i was there!! smaller leak but still not tight enough.

BC re: zip ties i have been using a hose clamp for a time it worked fair, slipped sometimes uneven still leaked a little, so looking for a better fix.
also if this is a common problem maybe someone knows of a fix as i would rather not disconnnect.

i only would consider buying a replacement of different style maybe with a screw-on type cap, not going to spend money on this same junk.

ideas i am considering

u-type clamp with wing nuts

adding third piece of cork and grinding that angle off so it makes a flat seal rather than angle pinch on a distorted seat.

thx maxx"

"now no need to bring out scre

"now no need to bring out screwdriver everytime, fit real tight over improved gasket.

quick to remove for oil fill

mat taz"

Back