Logo

225 alarm amp rpm reduction

fleter

"hello, '03 225 350 hrs, l

"hello, '03 225 350 hrs, last two times out, upon first throttle up, the engine alarms rang and the engine cut down to idle rpm. did'nt die and if i accelerated slowly it got up to speed and ran fine. I pulled the cover when it happened and engine felt hot, too hot maybe. water psi fine. I'm thinking oil. Running synthetic 5/30 (1 yr 100hrs)in Savannah, GA cold in the morning.
Is it possible the oil isn't warmed up properly?
thanks"

"thanks for the reply all. Ho

"thanks for the reply all. Hot as in your finger on the engine for 1 or 2 seconds. Water pressure reading on dash gauge @4000 rpm = 25 psi normal.
JIT, I have honda gauges (yami meaning yamaha-yes?)
thanks for your efforts."

"Don't run the engine if i

"Don't run the engine if it is getting hot, find the problem....or you may create other problems..like burning up gaskets or warping aluminum parts which will increase the likelyhood of leaks...problems that might not show up right away, but later at the worst possible time"

"yep, but my rule of thumb, un

"yep, but my rule of thumb, until you are sure...as we are all long distanced trouble shooters here...better safe than sorry. In his original post he thought it felt hot....we aren't there so we don't know for sure if its normal or in fact running hot. I'm just saying be careful, they cost a lot of money to fix or replace. It's going on 6 yrs old, the t-stats could be sticking and it is in fact hot. The question I ask myself " Do I really need to run this today, before I know for sure what's going on?""

"You need to take it to a deal

"You need to take it to a dealer & read out the codes using the HDS. One red light (overheat probably close to the green light) was on, right? Which other red light was on? Check engine light or alternator? When was the last time the water pump & thermostats were serviced. It is true that a sensor could be bad, but I suspect cooling system issues. Have your dealer run out the boat with the HDS hooked up & watch the temps of ECT 2&3. These are the exhaust manifold sensors & are the only ones that signal overheat."

"thanks guys, good info all.

"thanks guys, good info all. I took it in to the tech and changed the inpellar and he cleaned the stats. apparently a fair amount of "sticks and pebbles" were present (I don't much like the high performance pickup option. Didn't fix it so it when't back and I asked him to look at a battery switch problem(would read 24V in "both" setting)and he found that battery switch was bad causing a short and the alarm and reduction. who would have thought, huh?"

Back