Logo

1992 Johnson Tilt motor

skpdiver

"I have a 1992 VJ150GLENC John

"I have a 1992 VJ150GLENC Johnson outboard motor. The tilt motor is not working. I believe the relays are working because when I press the up or down button, I hear a small "click" noise. That also makes me believe it has power. Any suggestions of where to start. Also, I just had the tilt motor replaced by a shop about 1.5 to 2 years ago.(For the sum of $1000.00) Would like to avoid that charge again.
Seperate issue...I notice when I run this motor I get a lot of cavitation. Any suggestions on how to fix/correct position of motor. The motor is equipped with the whale tail skags. Could that be the problem?
Thanks
Steve"

"the whale tail,is not affecti

"the whale tail,is not affecting your trim.
is the motor running?....if so,u may just need fluid.use a test light on the blue wire on mtr,hit up pos and see if power is going to mtr..u can also chg relays,quick and cheap."

"i just noticed,u said seperat

"i just noticed,u said seperate issue,i missed that...it is possible,but rare,for a whale tail to cause prob...a hook/rocker,or items mounted to close to prop can cause it,as well as the prop,and driver...u r gonna have to do some checking."

"when does cavitation happen ?

"when does cavitation happen ?
hard corners /before or on plane.
prop selection can be a cause. 4 blade props dont like hard corners,3 blade props take them better,its give take situation."

Back