Logo

Volvo aq170

txny13

Regular Contributor
"iam am now out of the volvo a

"iam am now out of the volvo and now in to a mercuriser 470,i got a new boat, so thanks for all you guys help but i do have some aq170 parts if any one needs them,thanks again john"

"John, I'd rather give mys

"John, I'd rather give myself a Colonoscopy than to own a M/C 470. If you think you had any issues before, welcome to your new world!
I know, that sounds terribly mean spirited at first glance..... but there is a kind message behind it and when considering the long haul!
Seriously..... save yourself a headache or two and at least go with one of the other M/C engines/drives.

."

"Ricardo:
Don't be so neg

"Ricardo:
Don't be so negative about the 470 engine. That is the one that kept the Merc service workshops running Mercedes and BMW's back in the 80's!
It's a great engine, as long as You keep it in the corn harvester or whatever. Never above 5 mph, and in walking distance from home!"

"Actually, there are aspects o

"Actually, there are aspects of this engine that are excellent. Lots of torque/power, etc.
Aluminum block keeps weight down, and so on.

Here are a few of the down sides to this engine:

Charging system..... original sucks. Upgrade to the 10SI and that solves that issue.

Camshaft/Engine Circ Pump "Dual Seal"..... need I say more on that?????
Coolant leaks at front cover!!!!!

Drive ratio is specific to this engine.... finding a used drive is difficult... new is easy.

The engine was not in production for too many years.... this puts the supply/demand side of parts out of favor for an owner.

If you have one that works well, you'll like it."

"And use a shore based battery

"And use a shore based battery charger... :)

Was going to say you've jumped from the frying pan into the fire, but Ricardo E. said it better.

Good luck... there is lots of help available on the Merc forum on these engines."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
stop.gif
offtopic. It's a volvo's thread ;)"

"Well, that's true, and th

"Well, that's true, and this was a mild Hy-Jack of this thread.

Ok, and now back to our regularily scheduled Volvo Penta program!"

"Sergey: Precisely!!!! This is

"Sergey: Precisely!!!! This is a Volvo thread, and that's why Volvo was being praised by making a fair comparison with Mercruisers.

You just have to read between the lines.....
biggrin.gif
"

"It's funny but I'm cr

"It's funny but I'm crying - the new Volvo Penta Water pump cost 1000$ (!!! seems it begame a gold one after 35 years on the shelf).
I'm now thinking about Volvo's 164 automobile pump (also very rare part), but not 100% sure about it's compatibility."

"Sergey, not to disappoint you

"Sergey, not to disappoint you, but if I was in your shoes I would cut my losses, get rid of the 170 and get something else installed. If you need power, may I suggest a V6 or a V8 Chevy. You will be better off buying a whole used package (a 280 transom shield, engine, bellhousing, outdrive). It may look expensive, but I suggest that in the long term you will be better off.

Alternatively, since you are in Russia, you may want to check the Swedish market for used Volvo Penta."

Back