Logo

b92 johnson timing question

bwaybrown

"Hi all, I have a 92 70hp John

"Hi all, I have a 92 70hp Johnson outboard. Model # J 70 T L EN D. It runs pretty well. Lately idling rough and under acceleration and higher speed I get a stutter. If i keep the bulb tight it seems to go away. I cant find a air leak in the gas line. I have an external gas filter. compression all 120. Timing seems off. Engine says 17 BTDC. Not really sure how to set timing. Is there a simple way to set timing that someone could tell me. Can I use the same induction light I use on my old cars? I need to buy the manual but have not yet. There is a tuna run on and I really want to get out later today? Any help would be greatly appreciated?"

"dont mess with the link/sync

"dont mess with the link/sync if you do not need to . chances are that may not be the problem.
like david stated fuel pump may be on its way out
check the other basic fuel related areas first.
proper conn to tank,any leaks in lines pump.
what happens when you pump the bulb with engine off does it get sitff or does it come out the carb,"

by the way you can go to googl

by the way you can go to googlebook.com and get partial repair manuals.......but if you plan on doing a lot of work yourself a manual and this site will keep you out of the shops.

although i think you may be able to get more literature from evinrude/johnson if you try searching some of the evinrude/johnson sites.....it seems like ive seen it for the newer models anyway.

also shopevinrude.com has exploded diagrams and parts lists......pricey though.....this site blows my boat store out of the water on prices.

"thanks for all your responses

"thanks for all your responses. I need a manual to figure out what the link is telling me to do but it seems like the way to go. Pretty sure its not a air leak in the fuel line. I am worried about the fuel pump. I do hear and feel a mechanical click at the fuel pump under idle with the muffs on..Does that worry anyone or do they all make a pretty loud clicking sound? Is pump difficult replacement. Its spendy and will take some time to get to me here on Kauai but..By the way, on my island no one has champion plugs in the noted style so I bought the NGK replacement. .and they barely run. I put the old champs back in and they run way better-same gap etc. Weird."

"I figured as much regarding t

"I figured as much regarding the plugs. Regarding pumping the bulb. I can get it hard in about eight squeezes. If I over squeeze, I seem to get some gas from the carbs. The problem is while fishing the bulb will get soft, my external gas filter will be about half full and the engine will start missing, running sporadically, as soon as I squeeze it up again it is fine. I bought a new bulb and fuel line and ran it directly from the gas tank to the fuel inlet on the motor and it atarted to do it immediately so I am thinking that it is my fuel pump. DOes anyone have an idea how difficult it is to replace or rebuild the fuel pump. I think its a mechanical pump, maybe its not so bad to replace. But it might be really hard to get out or get back in. Thank you again for all the commentary. I am sure I will be back with new questions once I figure out the spark timing link."

"ive took my fuel pump apart a

"ive took my fuel pump apart and cleaned/checked it when i first got it and didnt have any probs, but i have read some threads where some of them can be difficult---easier to just replace than rebuild is what i usually see on the threads.

as far as your carbs leaking gas when you pump the bulb---thats a carb issue. clean and rebuild the carb and you may solve your prob without buying that pricey pump.

here are some other things that may help you.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013"

"Thanks guys. Gonna seafoam f

"Thanks guys. Gonna seafoam first. See how that does. Then I gonna think about rebuilding the carbs and setting the timing. I have not seafoamed in along time so maybe that will help. If all that fails, I will replace the pump. Hopefully the fish will wait for me."

"the professional way,to set a

"the professional way,to set an outboard ign timing...is 3 ways..........
1. static timing we all do after an overhaul,crank,flywheel,intake etc,replacement,this is PRIOR,to doing it CORRECTLY,BY THE BOOK.
2.with an ign analyzer for 60 degree optical ign.
3.**** and the most important..5000 rpm,test wheel,timing pointer checked against TDC. adjust.
I would like to add,..static timing,is just that,..close,but no cigar...if u take your 40,000 dlr bass rig in to the shop,do YOU,want it STATIC timed?...as the final adjustment?..timing is ONE of the things that equil longeveity,in an outboard."

thanks jwb! that means a lot c

thanks jwb! that means a lot coming from a pro such as yourself.

i like to work on everything and the wife is starting to think im addicted to boats..........thats all i ever hear boat this and boat that.

boats seem to be somewhere between dirt bikes and cars. so that makes it right up my alley.

Back