Logo

Running great starts slowing down and dies

"On take off it starts to run

"On take off it starts to run great for a minute, get her on plane and than starts to slow down and dies. So, I switched the red lever on choke solenoid to up position and get it fired up again, quick shift in gear since I know it's running rich now and had no problems running on plane again. Any idea what it might be? Maybe the fuel pump? Or the choke solenoid? Seems that everything is working so I'm puzzled and back here for more help. At last it's in the water and running finally. Thanks in advance, Mike"

did you try pumping the primer

did you try pumping the primer bulb when it falls out?

if you are having to run on choke i would lean toward dirty carbs.

what year/model is this again?

"It's a 85 140hp looper, t

"It's a 85 140hp looper, tried the primer bulb with no effect, the carbs have been rebuilt including new floats, it will idle and run at slow speeds all day without bypassing the choke, it's only at full throttle that I have to bypass it to make it run, thinking that the fuel pump is dying."

what kind of filter do you hav

what kind of filter do you have?

have you checked for water contamination?

have you checked all the fuel lines for leaks?

you can also start it up and spray carb cleaner around any suspected air leaks...you will know if it has a leak--it will die out.

if pumping the bulb didnt help i wouldnt think it would be the pump....does gas come out of the carb when you pump the primer or does it just pump up hard?

spark good?

"David,

Have fuel/water sep

"David,

Have fuel/water seperator and inline glass filter after the bulb, fuel lines have no leaks, fuel is fresh(4 days old), bulb get hard and spark is good, I'll check for air leaks.

JWB,

Yes, I'm running the breather box, it is missing the insulation stuff around each carb but the inside plastic part that bolts up to breather box is there, could that affect it?"

"have you checked for water co

"have you checked for water contamination?
pump the bulb,while running and see what happens...if it gets better,repl fuel pump.r u certain,high speed jets,are crystal clear?..u can run a fuel pump pressure ck,as well as a boat system restriction test,with gauges."

"Next time out I'll check

"Next time out I'll check the fuel pressure, I had the carbs apart again 4 days ago to adjust the floats and they were clean as the day I had rebuilt them with a total rebuild and ran stranded wire through all jets including the one's on front of the carbs."

"ok...these jets,need to be CL

"ok...these jets,need to be CLEAN,as in a selected orifice,for proper performance....
u need to loook thru those jets after cleaning,to make sure....u have absolutely,no withdrawal problems.zero--perfectly-clean/clear."

"Problem fixed, the fuel pump

"Problem fixed, the fuel pump I was using was starving the engine, installed a VRO fuel pump and runs great now, when I bought the motor it came with a single old style pump which was not enough fuel to all 4 carbs. I also installed new foam that go over the carbs since it was missing, maybe that was also the problem, thanks for the help!"

Back