Logo

Hydraulic steering for Volvo Penta outdrive

I have a dual helm Bayliner wi

I have a dual helm Bayliner with rack and pinion steering on both the flybridge and in the cabin. The cable to the flybridge is broken! I would like to repace the rack and pinion with hydraulic steering but am having trouble determining the correct cylinder for a 280 outdrive. Most of the manufacturers reference outbords when they describe their products. Anyone out there who has converted to hydraulic steering?

If you post a picture of the s

If you post a picture of the steering arm in your 280 transom shield I may be able to give you some information.

"El_Pescador,
Thank you for y

"El_Pescador,
Thank you for your response to my question. After much thought and worry I think I am going to replace the cable. I am concerned with costs and the fact that I might have to replace both steering systems at the same time. I have started to remove the cable from the flybridge and it is going to be a chore snaking it out and installing a new one. One good thing is it will keep me busy and out of trouble. Thanks again.

Jim"

"El Pescador,
I hope you read

"El Pescador,
I hope you read old posts, I managed to snake the old steering cable out! The only number I can find on the old cable is "1030P". The steering is a rack and pinion system. I looked on the Teleflex site but could find no reference to this number. I did a google search for steering cables but could find no reference to this number on any of the sites I looked at. Do you know of or have a source for old seteering systems (circa 1978).

Thank again for any and all help

Jim"

Back