Logo

Velvet Drive 71C

"I seem to have misplaced abou

"I seem to have misplaced about 1.5 litres of transmission fluid. The last time that I looked (4-6 weeks ago), it was in the B-W Velvet Drive (Model AS2-71C / S/N 3081 / 1.52:1) that's attached to the port-side 318 in my '63 Shepherd. Today, while trying to determine why the PT engine wouldn't go into gear, I found that the aforementioned fluid was missing: with the dipstick fully screwed in, the fluid barely registered on the tip. Needless to say, I seem to have solved the problem with the gear engaging, however, I can't see where the fluid is going: there isn't an oil slick at the exhaust outlet indicating a leak in the cooler, there's no change in the engine oil level, and, while there does seem to be some fluid in the bilge beneath this gear, it doesn't seem like that much. I'm thinking that it might be a front seal, and that the 'lost' fluid hasn't made it's way to the bilge yet.

Any suggestions?"

"1.5 liters, thats a lot of fl

"1.5 liters, thats a lot of fluid to lose and not see any in the bilge. Don't know your cooling configuration, but i would fill it up again and try to see if any hoses are broke and leaking. Thats about all I can think of, There is definitely a major leak there. Velvet drive is a small enough unit where you should be able to see any leaks. Are you running a Vee drive or a straight shaft?"

Back