Logo

Converting a pull start outboard to an electric start

tomiller97

"Has anyone ever converted the

"Has anyone ever converted their standard pull start outboard to an electric start? We have a 1999 40hp 4 stroke Merc that can be pretty cranky when it gets cold....we've snapped the rope a few times this year because she's so hard to pull in the early morning cold....
So were looking to try to add a starter and what not to the motor to convert it to an electric start. Obviously need the starter, assuming we need a new flywheel to match up with the starter....are there any other components that need to be swapped out to make the conversion work? I've heard the electrical system (or at least the stator assy will need to be exchanged)

We've found starters about about $100....if we can find a flywheel they are pretty pricey...
anybody know of anyone that has used or refurbished merc parts...trying to save some coin as we can't afford to buy everything new...."

"Is this you, your not going t

"Is this you, your not going to find better info.
Convert from Pull Start to Electric - 40 Hp 4strk
11/30/08 at 12:55:37 Quote I think I may have asked this question in the past, but I could not find the thread so I wanted to post up again. Currently we have a 40 hp 4 strk, 99 MY, on our duck boat. When it is cold out it can be a pain to start and we want to convert if from a pull start to an electric start. I am pretty handy with motors and we have already rebuilt the power head on this motor once so I think I know my way around it. The block has the mounting holes for the starter already in place and they are tapped as well. From what I can tell I think all we need a new fly wheel and a starter along with the solenoid.

For the fly wheel I think it is part number 284832010T29
Starter - 50859170T1
Solenoid - 89850187T1

Can anyone think of anything else in terms of Items that I must buy from Merc? Maybe the batt cables vs. making them?

Thanks for all of the help.

JD
Back to top Personal Message IP Logged

The Marine Doctor

YaBB Administrator

Re: Convert from Pull Start to Electric - 40 Hp 4s
Reply #1 - 11/30/08 at 12:57:27 Quote I need the serial number of your engine to see if there is a kit made.

The Marine Doctor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember I put a lot of time and effort into the forum along with my own money....It's free advice unless you want to donate Email | Personal Message | WWW IP Logged

Merc_Nut

Global Moderator

tuN yrucreM

Reply #2 - 11/30/08 at 13:29:59 Quote Assuming you're not looking at the charging system, the parts you list appear to be correct, but like The Marine Doctor says we'll need to serial number to confirm the flywheel reference.

Bolts to hold the starter on are M8x45 (3x)
Bolts to hold the solenoid on are M6x30 (2x)

You might want to consider the factory cable between the solenoid and the starter. p/n 93388A13. Might be a pain to reproduce.

The negative and positive from the battery to the motor can be picked up relatively cheap at any marine store.

Don't forget you'll need a switch or button to start it with as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I'm not a mechanic...just a Merc nut trying to provide advice.
'72 Glastron GT160 c/w '72, '84 & '86 115hp Merc
'70 9.9hp , '70's 20hp , and '61 50hpEmail | Personal Message IP Logged

reelnaughty

Guy who cleans up the mess

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 11/30/08 at 17:00:04 Quote Ok, I will see if I can get the serial number. The boat is not at my house so it may take a day or two.

Thanks!

JD

reelnaughty

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 11/30/08 at 17:47:12 Quote Ok, here is the serial number;

Either

OG878560

The Marine Doctor

YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 11/30/08 at 17:58:45 Quote No kits avail.

All has to be priced out.

I would assume over 1k for starters, given that you need the starter and flywheel for sure.

Also...a different stator

The Marine Doctor

Please remember I put a lot of time and effort into the forum along with my own money....It's free advice unless you want to donate Email | Personal Message | WWW IP Logged

reelnaughty

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 11/30/08 at 18:29:53 Quote I was able to find a starter for $100, and possibly a used flywheel for around $100, but the stator is a bummer. Didn't realize until you mentioned it that a new stator was required. May have to do some more digging. Any idea of an outboard junkyard of sorts that may have a blown powerhead motor sitting around that I could pirtate that parts off of?

JD

The Marine Doctor

YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 11/30/08 at 19:10:58 Quote No sorry none. I am surprised that you found used stuff at all.

The stator may? be purchased at CDI aftermarket.

The Marine Doctor

Pages: 1 Reply | Add Poll | Notify of replies | Add to Favorites | Send Topic | Print | Mark as Unread

The Marine Doctor › OutBoard Motor Forum › Mercury/Mariner (Moderators: Merc_Nut, Spinnerbait_Nut) ‹ Previous topic | Next topic ›

The Marine Doctor » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007"

"wow, sorry thats one of my bu

"wow, sorry thats one of my buddies who apparently asked the same question on this site. I was referred to this site from someone else and didn't know he had already posed the question here...He's a long hour working company man...so I don't get a chance to talk to him unless we're out hutning or fishing...regardless thanks a lot for the detailed responses!!"

Back