Logo

Brealey smith buccaneer jetski

phil_j

"hi can anyone help i have a b

"hi can anyone help i have a brealey smith jetski built in nottingham england circa 1970 it has a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine fitted in quite a state can anyone help identify it the crafts makers plate say eng no:1894993 any help or comments helpfull
221885.jpg
221886.jpg
221887.jpg
221888.jpg
"

"Ayuh,...

It kinda looks li

"Ayuh,...

It kinda looks like an old Saab 3 cylinder 2 stroke motor..."

""""didn't i s

""""didn't i see one of those in a "bond" movie?"""

would that be a sean connery bond movie?

looks like it might be worth fixing up, and a lot of fun.

is that a ferrari sticker on the front?"

too bad!

it still looks pre

too bad!

it still looks pretty cool though.

are you fixing it?......or have you found anymore info?

i sent you a message.

you know if you cant find any

you know if you cant find any info nor parts for that you could always put in a newer style eng and drive.

just a thought

yeah think thats a feasable op

yeah think thats a feasable option im getting snippets here and there couple of people can remember seeing something like it!on other forums and its brought back fond memories for them......my aim is to restore it to its former glory .....im just finishing off a 70s classic marina speedboat so jetski thingy will hopefully be next!

"rotax is a product of BRP the

"rotax is a product of BRP they make a lot things
ski doo ,jet skis, evinrude /johnson,atv"s etc..."

"I've heard Rotax is THE n

"I've heard Rotax is THE name in personal water craft, go kart racing etc. I would reach out and see what they have as a drop in replacement. Looks like a fun boat. Oh... and FYI... the Bond boat was bigger and had a Chevy v8 in it."

thanks stuart thats great info

thanks stuart thats great info about it being a rotax engine anymore info would be great can you remember what model the engine was?or the skis being built or used etc ....thanks phil

"Hi Phil, The original engine

"Hi Phil, The original engine was a 2 cylinder rotax type 373 water cooled. The engine that is in your boat could be a British Anzani 3, this most probably is a modification,If you need ant more info just throw me a line. Are you in the uk?"

thanks stuart was that a modif

thanks stuart was that a modification that could of been done when built or by an owner at some point?.....yeah im in the uk i live in melton mowbray leicestershire

"The majority were rotax but t

"The majority were rotax but that engine was used, my dad says someone put a morris 1000 engine in one !!! and it worked really well. Ive never seen one in the water and i would love too. My dad still has all the spec hand drawn by himself. And just to put the story straight..... the boat was designed, built by Robert Brealey and David Smith, other people may have said that they had done it, but they didnt !!"

"wow!now theres a thought a mo

"wow!now theres a thought a moggie engine i was toying with the idea of putting a reliant robin engine in small and lightweight!because i should imagine parts are hard to come by although i would like to keep it original if poss.i understand theres a chap somewhere in the lake district that has restored one and ive seen one for sale in ireland.what was behind your father designing the buccaneer was it a natural progression being in the fibreglass industry?obviously it was a forerunner to what we have today in pwc, is he still in the nottingham area?"

hi stuart can you or your fath

hi stuart can you or your father remember what make the drive was? sorry for all the questions but its such a unique craft and im so glad to of found such an amazing source of information as your good self ...many thanks phil

"Hi Stuart and all,

David S

"Hi Stuart and all,

David Smith Jnr here, son of Smith in Brealey Smith! How are you doing Stuart? I dont think I've seen you since I was little. Jean just told me about a Brealey Smith fairing on eBay.

Here is a newspaper aticle and pic from Doctor Who and The Sea Devils (1972).
http://www.fathomtreeltd.com/bucaneer.jpg"

Stuarts father and my father are the people to talk to!"

David says it was a uniroyal c

David says it was a uniroyal cush drive. I'm sure the team from Brealey Smith would gladly sit down with a cuppa and talk to you about it.

"Hi Dave, yes its a very long

"Hi Dave, yes its a very long time no see !! Wouldnt you just love to get an old Bucaneer back in the water? p.s. im often at my Dads, ill have to come over some time."

Re: "Hi Phil, The original engine

"Hi Phil, The original engine was a 2 cylinder rotax type 373 water cooled. The engine that is in your boat could be a British Anzani 3, this most probably is a modification,If you need ant more info just throw me a line. Are you in the uk?"

Hi Cerdo,after months of research I finally stumbled onto your post. I also own a buccaneer and I am in the process of restoring it. You mentioned a Rotax 373 2 cylinder. I cannot find any markings on my engine expect for Rotax and that is why I have attached a picture of my engine if someone can maybe identify it. The engine that I have is still in perfect running order, except for when you put the boat into the water then it soon looses power. I have tested the compression on the cylinders and I am getting a reading of 800 kPa on it. I think it might be the timing that’s out. The Rotax engine that I have has electronic ignition on it and I can’t seem to find the timming marking on it. If you or perhaps someone reading this post has the manual for this engine, carburettor or boat, please be as kind as to forward it to me

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 379
  • rotax1.jpg
    rotax1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 275
Hi all.. great to see these posts on the Brealey Smith Buccaneer..i can confirm the Engine was a Bombardier Rotax 372 engine and NOT a 373 as per Cerdo's post...The Bombardier Rotax 372 twin cylinder watercooled 372cc engine was the FIRST watercooled prototype engine made by Bombardier rotax..This was made as a replacement for the Bombardier rotax 318cc single cylinder aircooled engine that was fitted to the Very FIRST SEADOO in 1968 Produced by Bombardier..The Bombardier rotax 372 was the first watercooled designed engine for the Second Generation SEADOO that was to have been released in 1970..But alas Bombardier decided to shelve the whole project due to problems with the seadoo's unreliability and safety issues it had at the time. Time restraints and subsequent back orders for the world popular Ski Doo led to the cancellation of the whole Seadoo project and at that time was the demise of Seadoo..This led Bombardier to sell off the remaining Rotax 372 engines it had and to never produce them again..The Rotax 372 aluminium case was highly subsebtable to saltwater corrosion and fell apart very quickly and the engine electrics performed badly in wet conditions.The Bombardier Rotax 372 was fitted to the Brealey Smith Buccaneer but again proved unreliable hence the very short production run on the Buccaneer.As there was no watercooled engine alternative at the time Bucaneer production was cancelled.
Seadoo returned to the world stage in 1988 with the Seadoo 5801 model sporting a bigger and better hull..and a revolutionary Rotax 581cc twin cylinder watercooled engine that changed jet ski ing forever and the rest as they say is "history"..
To end this story i have myself a 1972 Brealey Smith Buccaneer recently Purchased for a Project and in the spirit of British ingenuity i plan to turn it into a W.I.G craft.fitting wings, tail section,ducted fan thrust and a much larger Rotax engine to power it along..
Hope this proved of interest to you Buccaneer enthusiasts......all the best...Bob

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone was still around, regarding this thread. I have just been luck enough to buy one of these water craft. Would love to have a conversaion with someone, or a contact name and number for help and swapping info etc??
Apparently the head and barel is missing?
my email is [email protected]
Thanks in advance

Back