Logo

Lack of power

handlepuller

"looking for any help. This is

"looking for any help. This is my first experience with a large outboard. 1989 merc L6 115 hp. Ran out of gas last week and since then engine has been running really bad. It idles rough and wont go under throttle. I thought I might of sucked up some varnish or junk from the tank (engine sat for 2 years without starting) didn't think to put fresh gas in it. It ran great before that. Checked fuel pump screen, took carbs off, cleaned reassembled with new gaskets, 16 oz of oil to 6.25 gals of fuel but still wont run right. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

"When is the last time the fue

"When is the last time the fuel pump was rebuilt?Also, get rid of that 2 year old gas."

"thats where I figured I'd

"thats where I figured I'd go next. Change the whole fuel line. The 2 year old gas burned pretty good, it's all gone. Thought I'd take the tanks and have em boiled as well. Thank's for the info."

"took a little time off, when

"took a little time off, when I got back I changed the fuel line to the engine and rebuilt the fuel pump. Engine is still running like doodoo.It almost feels electrical. Took it out Monday and a couple of times it ran like it was supposed to. Could something be loose? Are there any areas that are prone to high vibration? I have an appointment for Aug.7th. I'll look some more."

"Pablo, I recommend you start

"Pablo, I recommend you start with the basics. Do a compression check to rule out bad cylinders, next do a spark check to rule out no spark to some cylinders. Also check all electrical connections, and inspect the engine wiring harness for deteriation."

"thanks Chris, I've checke

"thanks Chris, I've checked the compression. I have 140 to all cylinders. I've also got spark to all plugs. I'm gonna grab a flashlight and spend as long as it takes to find the problem. I hate the thought of paying a hundred bucks an hour for someone else to find it."

"I HAVE A 115 MERCURY,RUNS GRE

"I HAVE A 115 MERCURY,RUNS GREAT AFTER IT GETS ON STEP.,I HAVE TO PLAY WITH THE TRIM TO MAKE IT NOT BOGG GETTING UP. ALSO BOGGS WHEN TRYING TO LOAD ON TRAILER.ANY TIME ITS UNDER HEAVY LOAD.COMPRESSION IS GOOD 120 ON ALL.JUST CHANGED 1 SWITCH BOX.#3 WAS NOT FIREING.ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED .}"

Back