Logo

Lets see some boats

"try again:{image)<[i

"try again:{image)
222087.jpg
"

"Oh now thats a baby compared

"Oh now thats a baby compared to the ones up in my neck of the woods. I.e. The james river. That one looks to be about 20lbs, the biggest caught in VA is 95 pounds.
222104.jpg
blue catfish

"we dont see fresh water fish

"we dont see fresh water fish like that here in masachusetts,get a 3 4 lb bass and you are doing
pretty good."

"thanks guys, the bigger one i

"thanks guys, the bigger one is 52 pounds, July 4, 2001 Sooke, Vancouver Island....she caught the bigger one (her first fish ever) but couldn't lift it up for the pic...first and only 50+ on my charter boat....was stuck at 49 1/2 pounds for 10 years previous"

"Man, I'd like nothing mor

"Man, I'd like nothing more than to have a brand new boat that just looks slick and clean, but I just can't justify the idea of a monthly payment on a toy like that. So, I've developed this bad habit of buying old boats, and doing restorations.

So here are the boats that I've had.

1) 1976 Sea Sprite Cougar. 15' Tri-hull with a 1978 Johnson 70HP. The engine had very little low end torque but it ran consistently and reliably. You didn't go very fast, but you always got there and it was easy on fuel. This shallow draft tri-hull would literally knock your fillings loose in any kind of chop.

2) New boat is a 1981 Sea Star Spoiler. 1979 Evinrude 140. 18' V-hull closed bow. This boat was a complete bottom up restoration. I lifted the top off the hull, ripped out the floor, and the totally rotted transom. I made a new inner fiberglass skin for the transom and then poured a new core using SeaCast. The floor decking and carpet were replaced and the top deck was reinstalled. My local shop did a complete rebuild of the powerhead and also installed a used power tilt and trim unit.

I still have cosmetic and finish stuff to do on the Sea Star, but it's a smooth riding dependable boat. The one problem is the Evinrude 140 is LOUD
angry.gif
This spring I plan to build some kind of hood over the motor well to block the engine noise.

Yeah, I probably put more effort into this rig than it was worth, but I bought the boat, engine, and trailer for $225. Hey, I basically had a new boat when I got done.

3) Also pictured is our 1996 Polaris PWC. Let's just say the engine maintenance on that thing is more than I expected. It's a blast to ride, but I've had the engine out 3 times in 4 years of ownership. Let's just say I've gotten pretty good at working on PWC's

248066.jpg
Sea Sprite"">
248067.jpg
Sea Star Rebuild"">
248068.jpg
Sea Star and PWC

Back