Logo

96 Tohatsu 90hp

schoir

I have an opportunity to upgra

I have an opportunity to upgrade my 70hp Evinrude to a Tohatsu '96 90hp Tohatsu. Any comments good or bad on this motor? Thanks. Matt

id do it big power difference

id do it big power difference i have been here before on a whaler if the tohatsu is in good shape or better shape than your johnrude do it you'll never look back but if it in bad shape and dont run dont did it the tohatsus are alot more reliable never have an ignition issue again but the nissan idles rougher than the johnrude but who care when your going 60

"The Tohatsu is clean, has a s

"The Tohatsu is clean, has a stainless prop with wiring harness and controls for $1000.00. All compression numbers are 144, 145, 144. Sounds like a steal to me."

wow well its either a steal o

wow well its either a steal or has other issues make sure you hear it run as with any used engine

"I agree. I am in NJ, the mot

"I agree. I am in NJ, the motor is on Long Island, NY and the seller will run it for me. Right now the 70hp on the Whaler is old ugly and tired. It is a rare 1974 70hp Hustler. I can sell it for a few hundred dollars and the Tohatsu costs me $700.00"

good deal the tohatsu will be

good deal the tohatsu will be big improvement we had a 17ft montauk whaler with a 70hp johnrude when in the low 30s replace with a 96 Nissan as im a Nissan dealer when 42 mph i never had another 90hp nissan that could do that the new motors just didnt have that much go and forget tldi there wimpy compared to the carb motors but if it run good get it

Does the '96 have oil inje

Does the '96 have oil injection and carbs or FI? Do you recommend diabiling the oil injection for reliability? I love Nissan products have driven 2 Nissans and 1 infinity in the last 13 years.

well it should have oil inject

well it should have oil injection of course it could be a rare one that didnt i dk if the 90 came in the plain jane model i have a 50d2 thats pre mix its a carb motor for sure the oil injection pumps on nissans never fail there driven by metel gears and are very relalble but if you dump the oil filter and dont get the air out of it youll be rebuilding the motor as long as you test it yearly on pre mix to check the pump is working your fine oil level drops in the tank umm if your used to mixing your gas and oil on your 70hp then take the oil pump off and buy the cover they sell or just remove the shaft and reassemble idont like oil injection motors personally i like takeing no chances with oil you cant run the tank bone dry if you use oil injection as they mix before the carbs and when you reprime your priming with strait gas instead of mixed its up to you i perfer pre mix becuase im CERTAIN i have oil but you might not like or forget to mix your gas but if you have done it for years why change anything

Back