Logo

Suzuki DT40 Carb settings 1983

trevelyan

"Hi all,

Recently bought a

"Hi all,

Recently bought a boat complete with DT40 - starting but coughing & stalling. Have checked fuel pump, fresh fuel, stripped down carb and found gunk in main jet. Checked timing (she'd just about cough for long enough) - spark/electrics all good.

Now she's back together runs better, but still doesn't idle and "phuts"/sneezes near idle or coming back off throttle fast. I wonder if this running lean?

Could anyone tell me "proper" settings for idle jet/pilot air jet, and main jet if I have to go back there...

Cheers"

"Thanks for your help. Idle j

"Thanks for your help. Idle jet was screwed all the way in - have set idle jet to 1.5 turns, air pilot jet to 1.5 turns. The idle jet felt very loose - looks like the thread is very worn. When the engine is run it the vibrations are enough to turn it on it's own. Holding the jet at the right position and pushing down on it, engine runs fine.

I was thinking about putting red hermetite (the non setting stuff) on the upper thread to stop air getting around, adjusting away, then smearing green (setting stuff) around the top to set it in position. Is this a good idea? Maybe fit a small spring as an alternative - probably not enough space for this - any ideas what might suit?

The water spraying from the impeller feels unusually hot (although I hadn't checked if my bin of water had been warmed by this point) - any ideas?

Trev"

Back