Logo

Risers and Elbows

jonjon

Contributing Member
"Jeff and All. Something to th

"Jeff and All. Something to think about! I am presently soaking ,OSCO R [689] & E [639], in canola oil. Bought several of these here cheap. Logic is that the oil will soak into the porous cast riser and the fixed elbow. Prior to use they will be allowed to drain. When installed the heat that is generated will glaze the oil and should limit rust. Over to you for comments. I could have used shark liver oil but, can not get it now and the smell!!!!"

"I'll bet you get hungry e

"I'll bet you get hungry everytime you fire that puppy up!

Interesting idea, really.

Jeff"

"I thought of doing this when

"I thought of doing this when I replaced mine. I don't know if it will work, but it seems like it might. What made me think of it was "seasoning" an iron skillet. You coat a new cooking skillet with cooking oil and basically burn it out. It makes a teflon like coating that prevents rust. I was worried that using direct flame would warp the parts. I thought of a hot oven, but the "admiral" would shoot me me if she found boat parts in her oven!

Let us know how it works if you give it a try!

Good luck,"

"Should be installing in Janua

"Should be installing in January 2009. The only way to establish is doing a 12 month inspection which was my intention. I think the slow cook of the exhaust should be more subtitle and also remember the process is in situ. NB. I always attempt to clean any mall formed and loose cast iron from the R & E. The elbows always seem to be problematic. I coat any exposed metal parts, black steel and cast aluminium eg, engine mounts with canola oil. Try it. Carn't wait till i soak the existing 90 degree elbow in a molasis bath post cleaning the scale! But, that is another story."

Back