Logo

Detroit Diesel 53 series model number breakdown PLEASE READ

jimg4652

Contributing Member
"I have seen a few threads sta

"I have seen a few threads started asking what that persons particular model number means. I dug through some service manuals at work and found model number break-downs for 53, in-line 71, V-92, and 149 Series engines. This break down is for the 53 Series engine only.

All rotations are found with you standing in front of the engine, looking at the crank pulley. If the pulley rotates counter-clockwise, it's a left-hand rotation. If it turns clockwise, it's right-hand.

Bank determination (Left bank, Right Bank) and accessory placement (blower, exh. mani) is with you standing at the back of the engine looking at the flywheel. I know in-lines have no "left bank, right bank" but I will use those words to describe which side the blower or exhaust mani. mount.

First digit in the model number determines what Series your engine is. 1000-0000

5 = 53 Series
1 = In-line 71 Series
8 = V-92 Series
9 = 149 Series

0230-0000: 2nd and 3rd digits determine how many cylinders the engine has.

03 = 3 cylinders
04 = 4 cylinders
06 = 6 cylinders

0004-0000: 4th digits determines the "application designation"

2 = Marine
3 = Industrial
4 = Power-Base
5 = Generator
7 = Vehicle

0000-5000: Fifth digits determines the "Basic Engine Arrangement" This section applies to inline engines only. ( I couldn't find the V-53 manual)

1 = Engine is left-hand rotation, blower is mounted on the "left bank", exhaust manifold is mounted on the "right bank"

2 = LH rotation, blower and exhaust manifold both mounted on the "left bank"

3 = LH rotation, blower mounted on "right bank" exhaust manifold mounted on "left bank"

4 = LH rotation, blower and exhaust manifold both mounted on "right bank"

5 = Right Hand rotation, blower on "left bank", exhaust manifold on "right bank"

6 = RH rotation, blower and exhaust manifold both mounted on "left bank"

7 = RH rotation, blower on "right bank" exhaust manifold mounted on "left bank"

8 = RH rotation, blower and exhaust manifold both mounted on "right bank"

0000-0600: 6th digit determines the "Design Variation"

0 = "N" Engine
1 = 2 valve cylinder head
2 = 4 valve cylinder head
3 = turbocharger equipped

0000-0078: 7th and 8th digit determine the specific model number, and the starter and blower arrangement.

If the last digit in the model number is ODD, the starter mounts on the opposite side of the blower.

If the last digit in the model number is EVEN, the starter mounts on the same side of the blower.

Remember, the model number on your block determines the way your engine came from the FACTORY. Anything could have changed by others who have rebuilt your engine."

Back