Logo

New crusader 80 For Rick S

allenb

"Rick, just getting ready to r

"Rick, just getting ready to replace old 1995 454 with borg warner 5000 gear with a new 8.0. Distributer tells me it will drop right in to old space and that the 8.0 with new Liberty 5000 gear will be a superb choice. Any thoughts or problems you know about in changing this out in my single screw Pursuit 2600 with a small tunnel drive? Appreciate your help and happy Turkey with your family Rick"

"Allen,

Sounds like a match

"Allen,

Sounds like a match made in heaven. A couple things to keep in mind:

First, I'm assuming you mean 8.1.

If your boat is equipped with return line fittings in the fuel tank, use the return type fuel system, otherwise you will have to go with the returnless system. The return type system has the fuel pump (FCC) on the front of the engine and easy to service. The returnless system requires the fuel to pass through a cooler to keep it from vaporlocking. This cooler is mounted down beneath the port motor mount and not easily serviced. If your 454 is FI you should already be using return lines.

Crusader now requires a 90gph RACOR filter be installed with each new engine. It does not come with the motor so if you don't already have one in the system, make sure you include that as part of the installation.

The width of the exhaust discharge is about an inch greater with the 8.1. This has never effected an installation for me, but it is something to keep in mind. It would only be a problem if you had some type of rigid exhaust system in place that won't give an inch.

Make sure you are very careful when setting up the throttle cable. The electronic throttle control is not very forgiving regarding travel. Once set up, they are fine but if you just connect the old cable and jam the throttle forward you can count on breaking it.

Make sure you get the risers as high as possible. You can double up on the riser kits if possible. There is not a problem with the system but, as with any engine, the higher you can get, the better you are.

And finally, you will probably need to reprop. You will want to have a tech onboard with a computer for your first seatrial. The rev limiters in these guys are so soft, you won't realize it is engaged. Instead of bouncing off the limiter at max RPMs, the new system simply reduces the throttle to the max limit. The diagnostic tool will show the tech the actual throttle achieved. You could have the throttle at 100% but the engine may only be achieving 90% because you are at max RPMs. Without the diagnostic tool there is no way of knowing this.

I have seen cases where a boat was way underpropped and the owner never knew it. This, of course, effects performance and fuel economy.

I hope this information was helpful and congratulations on your "new boat". That 's what it will be when you're done.

Rick"

"Thanks Rick. A few things fur

"Thanks Rick. A few things further if you have the time. I had no plans for any electronic throttle or gear cables. I was planning on using the same Morse controls and manual cables. Sound OK?

Also, the distributer of the engines on the US east coast is Engine Distributor Inc in New Jersey and they have told me that the engine is a closed fuel loop without a return. My existing 454EFi was the first year they went to FI and it was a Throttle Body design - not multi-port. I am checking today to make sure but I think I have return fuel lines .. Is this a problem? I should probably discuss with Scott in sales at Engine Distributers don't you think? I worry that sales folks are not tech folks for this re-power job.

Exhaust rear end is pretty easy.

I am worried a bit about the install space up front ... this is a very tight installation in a smaller boat.

Further thoughts Rick? Many thanks for your support so far"

"Rick

How bout fuel filters

"Rick

How bout fuel filters ... total in line from fuel tank to the new 8.1 crusader ...? It sounds like 2 total is the right repower. One would be the Racor 90gph and the other the fuel cell FCC. I would be removing the disk ( hockey puck like) filter on the old 454 fuel line. yes?

Also, is the harness adapter they are selling me going to be a seamless plug and play from my new engine to my old helm guages from the old 454 set up. Distributer says yes/

Your thoughts from the field ?

Thanks

Allen"

You are correct on the adaptor

You are correct on the adaptor. they use a differen't plug off the engine. With the adaprot it will be plug and play.

Rick isn't talking about electronic throttle controls. Your cable controls will connect to throttle control that sends a electronic signal to the ecm.

You only need the one Racor 90gph filter. I have that and there is a 10 micron inline screen filter where the fuel line connects. There is also a filter in the FCC. I would get a couple of the FCC filters and the Racor units. Also get two strap wrenches to remove the Racor housing to change the filter. Remember you need the Racor without the clear bottom - Get the one for inboard enginesper Cg regs.

You can just plug in the return tank fitting.

Using the non return system makes is simpler to install a fuel flow gauge if you want as you don't need a special setup to meter both.

"Allen,

Tight clearance is

"Allen,

Tight clearance is even more reason to use the return type fuel system. I have had cases where the fuel cooler interfered with the engine mounting bracket and the brackets had to be modified to get the engine mounted. You are right about sales people. Scott is a great guy and I knew him long before he went to EDI, but he may not even be familiar with the return type system as they only stock the returnless version. He may whine, but he can order you the right engine and have it with their next shipment. There will be no Oberg (hockey puck) filter to remove and there is no longer a filter on the inlet fitting. That was part of the upgrade to the 90 gph Racor. The inlet fitting was always difficult to get to and therefore seldom, if ever, got serviced. This created lots of problems and and has since been removed. Regarding the harness adapter, yes, this will allow you to plug into your old boat harness. Joe is reght about the controls. Your old controls will connect right to this engine but you will not need the strap wrenches. The new FCC does not thread on, it is secured with a clamp. The new system is much easier to service than the old one.

Rick"

Rick is there a difference in

Rick is there a difference in performance from the return system and the returnless. Or will the new 8.1 run the same either way? I am going to get on the line with EDI when they re-open but I suspect I am going to have a problem with this fuel return design. The engine is already in Florida - it was at the Boat show there and has the fuel returning to the FCC. we were just waiting for a Velvet Drive to be bolted up to it with a damper plate / torsion coupler and it was going to be crated for export. Should I absolutley insist on using the return line set up that is already plumbed to the fuel tank on the boat? Thanks again. Allen

""Should I absolutely insi

""Should I absolutely insist on using the return line set up that is already plumbed to the fuel tank on the boat?"

No, not at all. My only concern came from past experience with interference with mounting brackets. The performance will be the same. The only other thing I like about the return system is that, since you are flowing three to four times more fuel than you are using, you are constantly washing the fuel. Every time the fuel goes through the system, it is filtered. I feel this is a benefit but would not change my plans based on that.

Good luck and If you need someone to come down there and help you install it, I'm available anytime the temp in NJ dips below 40. That should give you til about April
lol.gif

Rick}"

"Hi Rick ... thanks for all yo

"Hi Rick ... thanks for all your knowledge so far.

If you are serious about coming down to help with this, I would consider offering you a plane ticket and find you accommodation for a few nights here to oversee the re-power. While my engineer is certified in Cummins, Mercury, and a few other engines, he is not fully knowledgeable with Crusader, let alone the nuances of the new 8.1, although he looked after the 454 very well.

If you are a certified Crusader guru, I could probably use your assistance with this project and it could save me a ton of headache. There is a 20% duty on this power package just to clear Cayman customs and land it here, so I have additional costs to get it here, which is why I am being so detailed before I purchase and ship.

Are you interested? And are you a certified Crusader guy who can run the diagnostic software on the seatrial ? You certainly sound like one. There are direct flights from NY to here several days during the week.
It might help if you can see the installation so I could send you some pics of the existing.

Whatchya thinkin? You have my interest, mate.

Allen"

You will need the strap wrench

You will need the strap wrenches to remove the Racor filter. the bottom half is hard to separate from the filter also. The FCC is easy to open.

Back