Logo

Eska Idle Adjustments

tim_k

"Hi all - 1969 Eska 7 HP (

"Hi all - 1969 Eska 7 HP (Wards CED-28927A) that I replaced a rusted tank on, thoroughly cleaned the carb, and replaced the spark plug. It has 110 PSI compression. Now starts great and runs great at higher RPMs, after I adjusted the high speed needle. Lowest speed seems to be at lever position only slightly left of center ("Start" on faceplate) position. Just past that point the throttle lever on the carb disengages the cam and the motor stops. Should the motor continue to run? There is a lot of space remaining for the lever to move left before it lines up with the "Stop" position on the faceplate. I think it should idle a bit lower than currently capable of if I want to troll. Will synchronizing (solid state ignition) add any lower speed capability? Any other suggestions? I have tried full range of low speed needle adjustments with little effect. High andd low needles seem to be in good shape."

"FYI, I synchronized the throt

"FYI, I synchronized the throttle/mag (kinda winged it) and it did make a difference. I now have a wider throttle range and a relatively smooth and low idle (low speed needle adjustments factored, too). I am surprised at how far off the adjustments were."

"Okay, could use some help. Th

"Okay, could use some help. This baby was running strong (think it could still have been smoother at idle) but the carb was leaking. I removed carb, cleaned it again, replaced both bowl gaskets. Also found a crack in the float and replaced the float. Now, after a few pulls, it will rev right up, then die after 3 seconds or so. It usually takes a while to fire again, then the same behavior. Seems like fuel starvation, but as far as I can tell gas is filling the bowl quickly. Disassembled and reassembled the carb again and spritzed passages out with some cleaner, no difference. Any suggestions? I did not have a carb-to-block gasket and used the old one. Could this cause this symptom? What might I have changed to make it run worse?"

Back