Logo

Instrument Panel Replacement

chuckhanson

Regular Contributor
"After 21 years of tender lovi

"After 21 years of tender loving care, I am thinking to undertake the replacement of my engine instrument panels, which are outdated and of questionable quality, at both stations this winter. I have a 50 foot 1984 Gibson equipped with 454CID Crusaders. Gibson has replacements available for about $1,700. Before I pop for this, I wanted to ask this forum about your experiences associated with the replacement and where you purchased the instrument replacement package.

Thanks,

Chuck Hanson
[email protected]"

Oh boy! Are you in for it. A

Oh boy! Are you in for it. At the very least I would shoot a zillion photographs of what's there before removing anything.

Good luck! You'll need it.

Jeff

"Jeff, I think you are right.

"Jeff, I think you are right. I am going to retire at the end of December so I guess I will have some time on my hands. I will beign my list of suggestions with yours and take plenty of photos. The wiring looks like a ball of earth worms with no tags or colors. I have wanted to do this for a long time but my travel schedule would not allow it. I also have a number of other deferred maintenance items to take care of like wax the boat. If it gets to cold where you are this winter, you are welcome to come down south and give a hand.

Chuck Hanson
[email protected]"

"I'd suggest verifying tha

"I'd suggest verifying that the wiring, from the engine up to the panel location, is sound before starting. If there are any doubts, change it out with the instruments or you'll be chasing theose "electrical gremblims" until you sell the boat."

"Chuck,

These guys build pa

"Chuck,

These guys build panels for Silverton and many other manufacturers. They will be able to do whatever you want probably cheaper and nicer than Gibson.

It's not as scary as it seems as long as you understand the color code, basic electrical systems and remember to label everything.

Based on what I have seen from you, it will be nicer than new when you're done.

http://jchmarineproducts.com/_wsn/page2.html

Rick"

"Chuck,
I have a fairly new S

"Chuck,
I have a fairly new Silverton (18 mos. old) my instrument panel lights haven't worked correctly since the day I took delivery. I've had them worked on three times and each time I not only loose the original gauges that were unlit but I end up loosing more. I now have no lights at all. I am just going to live with what I have, even though it's still undr warranty."

"Hey Chuck,

FWIW..on my Gib

"Hey Chuck,

FWIW..on my Gibson I had the standard 1993 panel for twin engines. I had another "flyer" friend over one day and we both discussed that the panel is not what we like to see, both being used to aircraft cockpit panels .............so one day when it was raining I took the panel down and wired and moved all the instruments so they were beside each other. That is both TEMP gauges beside each other. ...both OIL pressure gauges beside each other, etc....naturally Port engine on the left and STBD engine gauges beside, on the right. I also took all the gauges and rotated them in their respect holes so that when cruising the indicators pointed in one direction when all engine indications were normal......much easier to see when one is out of sorts with the other.

Naturally this little exercise took about 8 hours and BEFORE I did anything I marked, with masking tape, where every wire went and....... low and behold...no mistakes.

The wires do look like a birds nest but you can trace them all and just takes patience.

But being a retired directional consultant for high speed aluminum tubes, I have over the years added a ton more of electronics into, and around the panel.......If it flashes, lights up and may make a noise...I want it !!!!!!!

Good Luck Chuck"

"Don has a good point. When la

"Don has a good point. When laying out your project YOU get to place anything anyplace you would like. On our other boat, a 26' Bayliner, I had re-wired all new gauges and made the Dash Panel from a piece of lexan and that Avery vinyl woodgrain adhesive backed stuff. An entire roll 50' is inexpensive and looks like the interior or my Rolls Royce Corniche' ( yeah! sure). A hole saw cuts a very nice clean mounting hole for almost anything. If your not into the woodgrain stuff (which is weather and sun proof) you can buy a piece of white, black or whatever color to make the panel. With a little sanding and flame polishing it comes out beautifully. This winter layup is seeing a complete new dash on our 34C. I am adding angled wings on each side of the original and mounting our Garmin chartplotter dead center of the entire thing. Between the plywood and epoxy, this should look better than the rest of the boat when it fits over the original. The attached picture was a quick chunk of wood I had made up and since I am at work, it is the only picture I have but you may get the idea from it...
221648.jpg
dash""> This is just a mock up for placement of radio, gauges and switches which are currently ALL located on the lower helm. I took this to the boat and slid it over the spot it will go into to see how well I can read the instruments, chartplotter etc....."

Rick...I could not stop laughi

Rick...I could not stop laughing ! Brought a smile to a remarkably BLAH day ....Thanks

Back