Logo

OMC system check false alarms

mitchboe

"My System check (tach&#41

"My System check (tach) intermediately, and randomly seems to go through its reset sequence while running; one beep, and all LEDs on, then each LED shuts off. This seems to happen about one or two times a trip, but the last trip, it started doing it continuously, about once every 5 seconds. At the time I was in fog and in the inlet, so I continued to run. After about 15 minutes, (seemed like 4 hours) it just stopped doing it. I didn't shut the motor off until I got the boat on the trailer. The motor ran fine the entire trip at all speeds. When I flushed the motor back at the house it ran fine, and did not reset at all.
My gauge pack was purchased about 2000, and my motor is a 1986 175 EVN. It is connected with an adapter cable, and the system has always indicated faults correctly, when tested.
While running (at home), I tried to wiggle the wires on the back side of the gauge, at the motor,and between the adapter cable connectors, to see if I could make it happen. It did not repeat. All connectors are clean and dry."

"Talked to someone who works a

"Talked to someone who works at the local marina and he told me it's a somewhat common issue with the tach, he's going to lend me one to swap out. Sounds like a good place to start. As for the power supply, I'm not seeing any fluctuation on the voltage meter when it goes thru reset. I would think it would bounce a little if the pinn in the connection was loose/intermitant."

Back