Logo

Tohatsu 8hp 2 stroke The motor idles great accelerates horribly

scottsoutboards

"The motor will start on the f

"The motor will start on the first pull. When I got the motor the fuel inlet passage going from the fuel line attachment to the float bowl was full of salt. I cleaned it all out, blew out all the jets and replaced the needle and seat. When I pump the fuel into the carb the fuel bulb gets nice a firm, so I know the needle is seating. Now the motor runs, but when I turn the throttle up, it starts to smoke profusely, and the rpms dont increase that much. I think it is flooding, but dont know why if the needle is seating. However If I keep the throttle up eventually the motor will revs up but not without barrels of smoke. It is just strange, because it will idle all day real nice. The fuel mixture is at 50:1. Should I replace the carb, soak the current one in paint thinner? could the timming or anything else cause this?"

"If it's smoking you eithe

"If it's smoking you either have a problem with the block/rings, reeds or too much oil in the gas. Cleaning the carb again is a good idea, only use carburetor cleaner."

"The fuel mixture is right and

"The fuel mixture is right and I have cleaned the carb three times. Do you think the reeds are sticking, not allowing enough air, but fuel is getting in causing the motor to run overly rich? Should I clean the reeds or replace them. thanks for the quick reply."

"Sticking reeds are so rare as

"Sticking reeds are so rare as to be unheard of in outboards. You might have a bent or cracked reed...but, that would be unlikely. However, checking them would be a good idea. As to a stuck ring giving you low compression. Often it will, but not always. The key to this is the elimination of one system, at a time, to find the problem area.

"the float bowl was full of salt."

Think in terms of a mechanical problem with the power head as the engine almost certainly was abused prior to you getting it."

"Yeah, I am sure it was abused

"Yeah, I am sure it was abused. the float bowl wasnt full of salt but the passage leading to the float bowl was, or at least I think it was salt, I didnt taste it. The salt was blocking fuel from reaching the float bowl, I thought once I cleared it I was home free, then the motor did this. I will tear down further and check out the reeds.

I cant rationlize that it has anything to do with the rings, crank, wrist. It has to be something with fuel to air ratio. which I am thinking too much fuel and not enough air considering the amount of smoke. I have never seen a motor do this, idle nice and rev like crap."

idk i changed the rings in my

idk i changed the rings in my 5hp mod motor they where shot the motor original came from a sand company breathed in too much sand didnt mess the cylinder up just the rings they were really wore but it still ran and really good was alittle hard to start when cold but ran good i shaved 15 thousands off my cylinder head and now she really powerful and easy to start dont smoke as much either just check everything though

Back