Logo

1985 99 ml question

kimbajmann

"It is manual start, but I not

"It is manual start, but I noticed the flywheel is geared and there looks like there are two bolt holes for a starter. can this be added aftermarket so that I can remote start it off my boats main battery if I get a starter?"

"John, an 85 model would be a

"John, an 85 model would be a Yamaha built motor - would need your serial to confirm.

Any manual motor can be converted to electric start (if parts are still available), however, the cost involved is often times prohibitive.

Having the flywheel would reduce things significantly but you could still be looking at 200 bucks or more to do the converstion...."

"I saw some starter motors for

"I saw some starter motors for around 100 bucks, and can do the wiring myself. How would I learn what starter I need? Mercury marine will not let me email them as they keep saying the serial number is not valid even though i read it right off title and motor"

ser # 00353277. It looks to m

ser # 00353277. It looks to me like all I need is the motor as the threaded bolt holes for mounting appear to be there already. finding the correct starter is the big issue methinks.

"John, that serial looks to be

"John, that serial looks to be from a Belgian built Merc model 110, which would be a 9.8 horse (US) model.

You posted this as a 9.9, is it in fact a 9.9 horse??"

"yes, bought in ohio - have th

"yes, bought in ohio - have the orig purchase agreement from boat as teh man I bought the boat from was the orig owner. It shows all info on title and lists that number on title as well as the engine itself. cowling is appropriate with mariner stickers, all matches paint wise. Wait just looked at manufacturers statement of origin and itm says june of 84 if that helps 9.9ml ser 00353277."

"Ok, that is a Yamaha built Ma

"Ok, that is a Yamaha built Mariner. It will be a "C" model 682.

This was not a Mercury product although they sold it. Yamaha built these for Mercury to be sold primarily in the Asian/European markets. Merc did not build their own model 9.9's until the 1986 model year.

The factory starter, Merc part 50-98982M has been long discontinued. I am not aware of an aftermarket replacement for this starter (but may well exist).

Your particular model is a carbon copy of Yamaha's own 9.9B - however, it was only produced in a single production run in 1978. Yami then went on to market the 9.9C which may or may not share parts. They continued to produce the earlier version for Merc, dressed as a Mariner.

Your best bet may be to contact a Yamaha dealer and see if they have a parts reference for the particular starter you would require..."

"well, I changed plugs, gapped

"well, I changed plugs, gapped them and cleaned carb and guess what - starts first pull each time. That is good news. The thing is no water is comming out the top exhauset - the one near top of shaft. Some exhaust comes out it, but no water. This is with engine in tank. This has sat for a number of years, so was surprised it started so well. Does it take a few min to get water through system to spit out or should I start looking at a problem rel to impeller? I only ran it for like 30 sec each time, and just not sure if that is long enough to get water out the top spout or not. If it is a problem, is the impeller the likely culprit and if so cost?"

"Oh , thanks a bunch for the i

"Oh , thanks a bunch for the info it helps a lot. It sure runs easy and strong for that old an engine that has sat a while. I was fearing the carb would need so work or something."

If it's been sitting then

If it's been sitting then best to change the impeller and lower gear oil - no sense toasting a motor that could well last you for many years to come. The impeller should be changed every second year and the gear oil every year.....

"ok, I am fairly sure it is ju

"ok, I am fairly sure it is just a impeller do I need to get the yammaha kit as listed here since this motor is made by them ?
WTR PUMP REPAIR KIT 18-3148
This is the kit from this site under yam for this model year. Is the manual they list on this site the way to go for instructions or should i look at a different one. Thanks, I am fairly mechanically inclined and this just looks like removal of a few golts and such - posted a utube of a laarger motor being done."

"Oh, am I thinking right that

"Oh, am I thinking right that I want to go with both the yamaha impeller and the yamaha repair manual for this 1984 model based upon above posted info that this ser number shows it as a yamaha manufactured for mariner?"

"Yamaha 2-225 HP Two-Stroke Ou

"Yamaha 2-225 HP Two-Stroke Outboards and Jet Drives, 1984-1989

found this as well - is this the ticket for repair manual?"

"That would probably work for

"That would probably work for you. Alternately, you can use the Seloc's manual for "Mariners". It's close to a carbon copy of the Yami manual, but restricted to the models that they built for Merc...."

"I got a impeller kit at peter

"I got a impeller kit at petersons marine here in salt lake as well as some gear oil for lower unit, and a clymers manual. It took be about a hour doing impeller and oil while reading manual as I went - no issues at all - it spits water correct now and runs liek a top. A great little engine. Picked up a good quality, heavy duty stainless transom mount for her there as well. The kind that allows you to raise and lower the kicker. I am set, ran the engine for a while to clean her out with fresh gas/oil. Thanks again for all the help, without this forum, I would have never known it was actually a yamaha - and not looked there for parts first. You saved me a ton of time."

"You will need a neutral switc

"You will need a neutral switch, a start switch, a starter solenoid , battery cables , battery and a charge coil under the flywheel to charge the battery and a lot of know how"

Back