Logo

Stator Adapter

yak07

Some boat stores tell me I nee

Some boat stores tell me I need a adapter for my stator some say I don't. Can I just buy a replacement stator and just put it on? The motor is a 1991 Force 120 hp. Thanks in advance for any help.

"Larry, it really depends whic

"Larry, it really depends which 1991 model you have.

Mercury built all the 120 horse models. Some of them (models 90A and 91C) had Prestolite ignitions on them (Chrysler style).

The models 91D and 92C had Merc's (far superior) Thunderbolt 4 ignitions.

If you have the blue CDI boxes/coils it will be the first one mentioned. The Merc ignitions use the small black coils with the long rectangular black switchbox.

Given what the dealer is saying to you I would suspect you have the Merc ignition. The original stator for those has been discontinued, so it would make sense that the replacement stator would require an adapter to fit your application. If that is the case, unless you can find an original in old stock somewhere, you would require the additional component..."

Mine is the blue prestolite ma

Mine is the blue prestolite magneto ignition. The moron at the dealer told me I had to replace everything. He wanted 586.00 plus tax. I bought a new stator online for 187.00 and is a exact replacement. Thanks again Graham Lamb.

"Hmmmm, glad you worked it out

"Hmmmm, glad you worked it out and saved a chunk of change, but I really would be interested to see if you can replace the Prestolite with a Thunderbolt ignition (which is what your super star dealer would have tried to do)

I have never heard of it being done and will probably try it myself someday if the cost is zero - just to see what happens."

Back