Logo

Need some advice

raunch111

"I am in the process of buying

"I am in the process of buying a slightly used boat and i have two options. Both boats are 18' pathfinders, but one is a 2000 and the other is a 2001. Both are essentially the same price, but the 2000 has a 90hp yamaha while the 2001 has a 115hp johnson ocean pro. Both engines are the same year as the boats (2000 Yamaha and 2001 Johnson). I have read nothing but good reviews for the yamaha, but have seen some horror stories about the Johnson. Also, does anyone know where i can find any info on gas mileage for the johnson. Any advice?"

"Rick, I have never owned a Ya

"Rick, I have never owned a Yamaha but I have heard good things about them. I have owned 2 Johnsons. Both have been good. I currently have a 1988 Johnson 110 V4. So far it has been a good motor. Like anything else, everything breaks and it really depends on the care/maintenance that they receive through their lifetimes."

"Thanks for the help. It was

"Thanks for the help. It was a tough decision, but i went with the 2000 with the Yamaha. I talked to the guy with the Johnson and asked if he had any problems with the engine. He said that the boat broke down and he had the powerhead repaired/refirbished. That was the deciding factor for making my decision. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money knowing it previously had problems. If the powerhead has gone out once it just might do it again. I don't want to dump another 2,000-3,000 getting a new powerhead installed. Hopefully the Yamaha will do me right. Guess we shall soon find out."

Back