Logo

HOW CAN I FLUSH SALT WATER ON AN OLDER EVINRUDE

1dw1

HI I HAVE AN OLDER 18HP EVINRU

HI I HAVE AN OLDER 18HP EVINRUDE THAT RUNS LIKE A TOP. I RECENTLY MOVED TO THE COAST AND WON'T TO RUN THE SALT WATER. HOW CAN I RIG UP A FLUSHING SYSTEM I WAS THINKING OF GOING TREW THE MID SECTION BUT NOT SURE IF THERE IS A BETTER WAY OR A WRITE WAY?
THANK YOU DAN

"ive got an old '64 evinru

"ive got an old '64 evinrude 18hp on one of my lil aluminum boats ,although im not in salt water, when i need to work on it i get a 5 gallon bucket and keep the water hose turned on so i can replenish whatever water the exhaust push out. my trailer sits a little high so i just slide the bucket up as far as it will go and put a cement block under it to make sure the water intake stays under water..........and a 5 gallon bucket saves a lot of wasted water compared to a barrel or trash can"

THANKS DAVE THE FEW TIMES I HA

THANKS DAVE THE FEW TIMES I HAVE TAKEN IT OUT THATS WHAT I DID BUT I LIVE ON THE WATER AND THE BOAT IS ON A LIFT I NEED TO FIGURE OUT A WAY I CAN HOOK UP A HOSE TO FLUSH IT. TO MUTCH WORKTO PULL THE MOTOR AND RUN IT ON A BARREL EVERY DAY BESIDES I'M TO DAMM OLD.
THANKS DAN

"i know cabelas makes a "s

"i know cabelas makes a "small engine flusher" thats the only place ive seen one, but i dont know what models it fits-supposedly the ones with the water intake on the anti-ventilation plate, i think-..................................but reaching that far from inside the boat would still be a problem.

ive learned that a lot of people on here are quite inventive....maybe somebody has a helpfull idea"

THANKS DAVE I DIDN'T THINK

THANKS DAVE I DIDN'T THINK THEY MADE A FLUSH FOR THE ANTI VETILATION PLATE I'LL CHECK THAT OUT. AND YES I CAN REACH THE PROP FROM INSIDE THE BOAT I'M NOT THAT DAMM OLD(HA HA)
THANKS AGAIN DAN

Dan they did make a flush for

Dan they did make a flush for that motor Hard to find one these days Maybe a shop thats been open a long time has one laying around.

"a trash can or flusher,is bes

"a trash can or flusher,is best,as a smaller tub,is recirculating,a more concentrated salt water solution,..and u r,trying to flush,to rid salt wtr etc fr block."

"sorry andrew i dint know you

"sorry andrew i dint know you carried those..........the only place i had seen it was in cabelas, and yours is cheaper.

i guess you have to look in the right spot, and also looks like i need to take a trip through your products again to see what else i missed."

"Dan Williams I have one, It f

"Dan Williams I have one, It for my 67 18 hp rude. I tryed to upload a picture and can't load it.you can e mail me and i can send you the pic if u want.ckeck my profile."

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP B

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP BUT THE PICTURE OF THE ONE DAVID SENT ME IS FOR A CAVITATION PLATE THAT WOULD BE SMOTH ON THE UNDER SIDE ON THE UNDER SIDE OF MY CAVITATION PLATE THERE IS A CASTING THAT LOOKS ALMOST LIKE A V BUT SPREAD APART ABOUT 2" AND THATS WERE THE PICKUP IS. I THINK THE MOTOR IS A 72 BUT NOT SURE THE SERIAL # IS 18002E-E06588 IM GOING TO STOP BY MY LOCAL MARINA THIS AFTER NOON TO SEE IF THEY CAN HELP
I'LL LET U NOW HOW I MAKE OUT
THANKS AGAIN THIS IS A GREAT SITE

THE MOTOR IS A 1970 IF THAT HE

THE MOTOR IS A 1970 IF THAT HELPS. THE PARTS GIRL ALREADY LEFT THE MARINA. BUT THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND ME ONE.
THANJK AGAIN DAN

HI THIS IS DAN AGAIN STILL NO

HI THIS IS DAN AGAIN STILL NO LUCK WITH A FLUSH FOR THAT MOTOR MARINA SAYS THEY DON'T MAKE IT ANYMORE. THERE GOT TO BE SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT HAS OR HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. THE GIRL AT THE PARTS SHOP SAID THE MECHANIC OUT BACK HAS ONE BUT HE'S BIN TRIING TO GET HER TO FIND HIM A NEW ONE FOR YEARS. PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ONE OR LET ME NOW HOW TO MAKE ONE LET ME KNOW. AGAIN ITS A 1970 18HP EVINRUDE.
THANKS DAN

"on my '64 18hp i just use

"on my '64 18hp i just use a 5 gallon bucket like i said before..........now my '74 9.8 merc would use one of those anti-ventilation plate flushers, but i think your right about the v pick-up tube it would take a special kind, i was just thinking that by '70 it was diferent.

hang in there someone will have an idea."

THANKS FOR THE TRASH CAN METHO

THANKS FOR THE TRASH CAN METHOD BUT I'VE BIN DOING THAT FOR WEEKS NOW I RUN THIS BOAT ALMOST EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK AND I KEEP IT ON A LIFT I CAN'T REMOVE THE MOTOR EVERY TIME I RUN THE BOAT TO FLUSH IT IN A TRASH CAN. I NEED TO FIGURE OUT WERE I CAN FIND ONE OR GO THREW THE MIDSECTION AND CUSTOM MAKE ONE.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

I leave the motor on the boat

I leave the motor on the boat by trimming a plastic trash can (Rubbermaid) to fit.
Bill

Back