Logo

Damaged Johnson 99 Carb Throttle Plate Shaft Assembly

paxriver

"My 2000 Johnson 9.9 Rope Star

"My 2000 Johnson 9.9 Rope Start motor got submerged a while ago ... discovered this after at least a week in the water. I couldn't start the motor or rotate the throttle (pistons move fine & I lubricated the cylinders through spark plug holes). When I removed the carb (p/n 0436778) the throttle plate was frozen inside the carb barrel. I sprayed & soaked the carb thoroughly over 2-3 days in carb cleaner, penetrating oil (PB Blaster), and penetrating lubricant (PB Lube) with no affect. After 3 days of spray and soak, I tried rotating the shaft with a wrench on the metal lever permanently attached to the throttle plate shaft ... was able to get movement but think I damaged where the metal lever attaches to the shaft. Now the lever moves a bit before the shaft moves (it feels like I deformed where the shaft meets the lever). The shaft does not turn freely with or without the plate attached. The Johnson parts list doesn't show the throttle plate, shaft, spring or anything associated with this assembly. It looks like the assembly should be able to be removed & replaced by removing a retaining pin on one end and pressing the assembly out of the carb.

I've uploaded a diagram of the Johnson carb and a typical throttle shaft assembly ... the johnson diagram doesn't show the shaft or throttle plate. Does anyone know if I'm screwed and must replace the whole carb (new $225-260) or if there's someway to get & replace the throttle plate & shaft assembly? I haven't found anyone selling a used carb."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
221482.jpg
Carb & thottle shaft diagram

"Jeff--

i know nothing abt

"Jeff--

i know nothing abt your particular carb, but here's a suggestion: get some silver solder (the kind designed for mechanical strength, not for electrical conductivity) at your local hardware store. remove butterfly blade, pull shaft assy out of carb body and use valve lapping compound or wet sand with 1000 grit SiC paper until you get it moving freely in the carb body. then solder the arm solidly to the shaft and reassemble carb. it may not work but it will cost you probably under $10 and doesn't risk destroying anything that's not already toast. at a minimum, this will let you get engine running ASAP while you look for used carb....i think this is pretty important. really, even if you have to buy new carb, $260 for a motor that's been submerged for a week, you got off well......"

"[b]My 2000 Johnson 9.9 Rope S

"My 2000 Johnson 9.9 Rope Start motor got submerged a while ago ... discovered this after at least a week in the water.

Got spark? Compression OK? I think I'd be checking a few thing before spending 200+ on a carb that my not solve the problem.

I agree with Bruce, it should be an easy fix if you have the necessary skills."

Back