Logo

Merc 15hp VS Merc 15HP Super

olmo40

Regular Contributor
"My son has been offered a goo

"My son has been offered a good deal on a Merc 15 Super ,Anyone have an opinion if this motor would be faster than the standard 15hp Merc.We are talking on a small light boat.

Thanks"

"David, you would be hard pres

"David, you would be hard pressed to see any difference in "on boat" performance between the two models.

If I'm remembering correctly the Super 15 shared a powerhead with the 20 horse, so the displacement would be about 8 cubic inches larger than the (standard) 15 horse.

That should lead to a slight torque advantage and all in all the motor should be more durable in the long term as it would run a little cooler with less wear/tear on internal components. But all in all I believe the difference would really be un-noticable.

I have done numerous comparisons between 9.9/15 horse models rigged out in various configurations and between those two (of which the 15 horse is 50% more horses than the 9.9) and have found under the best of conditions the 15 will only give 2-3 mph more than the 9.9 on a 14 foot aluminum.

The Super 15 is a good motor if you need a motor, but I wouldn't replace an existing 15 horse (or 9.9 for that matter) that was running well hoping for some improvement......"

"Thanks Graham ,

Thats what

"Thanks Graham ,

Thats what i thought ,I will show your post to my son .We have broken a few parts on the 15 of late 3 sets of engine mounts ,plus a drive shaft ,which i have just replaced with a stainlees one .

Regards"

Back