Logo

Winterize tank full close to empty or 12 to 34 full

Find out if you have alkohol i

Find out if you have alkohol in your fuel first. I personally think a full tank is better.

i have the same stuff that the

i have the same stuff that the cars have around the area... 10% ethenole. I use a star-brite stabilizer and that enzime stuff too.

welll now that fuel is cheap c

welll now that fuel is cheap cheap cheap...i would treat the heck out of the tank and happy 200 cheap gallons in the deck! I sure wish I did that!!! I am going to have to chug 200+ gallons into the boat come springtime (im empty!)

"Could even go sub 50 a barrel

"Could even go sub 50 a barrel for oil. About the only good thing about global downturn.

I do like to play a safe bet, so might just keep adding the 20 gals on the next 5 or so trips to the marina. I treated 100 gals of the 260 gal tank. Can I mix stabilze to the 5 gal tanks and fill to tank after the I winterize?"

"Filled her up last year (

"Filled her up last year (and again this year) added Star Tron additive, and had no problems so far.

Most marinas (like mine) will not allow less than 3/4 full tanks for safety reasons--fumes explode, liquid gas does not.

Jeff"

"we do it the old way - stabil

"we do it the old way - stabilizer added and fill it for the winter. That said, all the OEM recommendations i've seen for the las
t 10+ years state to store them empty due to the 'storage life' of the stuff that comes from the pumps today.

As Jeff pointed out, depending upon your storage arrangements, you may not have a choice in the matter.

Finally, I've never seen any issues in a fuel system where the proper amount of stabilizer was added and the tank filled. I've seen a few cases where the fuel was treated but the tank left mostly empty (1/4 tank) and condensation occurred. I've seen three cases where there was no treatment and little use - those systems were a mess - varnish, gum...don't know what to call it but it's definitely a job for Mike Rowe."

"For the past five years I hav

"For the past five years I have stored my boat with the tanks nearly empty. The remaining fuel (10% ethanol) is stabilized. I realize that this may lead to some additional condensation, but I have water separators to take care of that. Frankly, a little water is no great threat, and some believe that the problem of condensation is vastly overstated. See http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_condensation_in_fuel_tanks.htm for information on this and other topics.

In the spring, I fill up with several hundred gallons of fresh fuel, completely overwhelming by dilution whatever fuel degradation has occurred over the winter. The engines always roar to life. Now consider the possibility of having several hundred gallons of bad fuel in your tanks one spring. How are you going to get rid of it? Run your boat on bad gas until its gone? By the time you realize you have a problem, what damage has already been done? How much will it cost to properly dispose of 200 hundred gallons of bad gas? Seems like a much bigger threat than a little water.

The new reformulated gasolines do not last nearly as long as fuels produced a decade ago. By some estimates the new fuel starts to degrade in as little as three weeks, and although fuel stabilizers can forestall rapid deterioration, I am not a big believer in miracles in a can. Rules that applied back then and were handed down from father to son, or old salt to greenhorn, no longer apply, and new rules must be adopted when circumstances change. If you have a choice you may want to consider storing empty and fueling up with fresh gas come spring."

"There nothing wrong with the

"There nothing wrong with the physics in David's arguments regarding condensation.

Don't you just love it when a little common sense and some reference values show folklore to be just that? I do, even with a bit of egg on my face. Glad i'm still capable of learning."

"Just to add my 2 cents: We h

"Just to add my 2 cents: We have stored the last 3 years with less than 50 gallons in a 220 gallon tank. We did use fuel stabilizer 1 year and 2 without. Either way, fuel was not the problem for us nor have we dealt with fuel related issues while running."

The Charlie Ann is on Pickwick

The Charlie Ann is on Pickwick Lake. It gets below freezing during the winter. My winterization consist of turning on the heat in the engine bilge and utility closet with the thermostat set at 38 degrees. This has worked for 21 years. You should take care to have the marina call you in case of a power failure. We had one when the temperature was below freezing in the last 21 years. I run my boat during the winter so putting antifreeze in it everytime could be costly. I do close off all through-hull fittings and drain my potable water lines. I have a hose in the bilge in the cabin that is the low spot in the boat. I disconnect it and open all the faucets. The water drains to the low point.

Chuck

"I would love to try keeping t

"I would love to try keeping the boat available for runs during the winter. I recognize that DEPENDING on the severity of that season, it could be a disaster. IF...IF One were to keep that boat for all winter use, besides a bubbler at the dock, and the fresh water system drained, what would be the better way to keep the FWC engines and drives from developing a problem ?

A few years back I drove other the Toms River/Seaside bridge in NJ and the snow and ice were really piled up...bad year I guess that time...LAST year, it was 50 degrees most of December, January and February with a cold night tossed in here and there...Might have been some nice fishing if you can be prepared for it."

"Al:

around here, the bay c

"Al:

around here, the bay charter captains have been known to put 100W light bulbs under the engines to keep the salt water from freezing inside the cooling system. Some of the 'greener' ones have been alledged to hook them up thru thermostats"

Is it safe to use bulb with a

Is it safe to use bulb with a gas engine boat? I want to stay in the water next year. I am not sure what I need to do. I plan on fishing all winter if my wife lets me ;)

Keeping at marina in winter costs extra 900 plus electric.

this year i need to paint with a good two year paint. I also have stuffing box and props to do that make it better to be out...

"In Maryland, ANY electric hea

"In Maryland, ANY electric heater left unattended is illegal. I suppose you could get away with a bulb, but it doesn't throw much heat.

Jeff"

"Hey Scott, THIS is EXACTLY ou

"Hey Scott, THIS is EXACTLY our dilema. We really enjoy going out fishing and love the boating aspect to get there. It's one of those 2 birds with 1 stone things.

Our summer contract runs 4/1 to 10/31 and they say they allow the next 3 weeks or so to get everyone out of the water. I am out about 10 days now. The striped bass are running wild ALL OVER. Where's the boat? On blocks.

If we did an in water winterization that could prove to be somewhat stress-less... I would do it. I just know that as things go with ME...that would be the year of the great deep freeze. I'd be running down to the dock every few days checking this and that....."

"Al, I don't think it is s

"Al, I don't think it is so bad running to the marina every now and then. Checking winterization is as good an excuse as any to get to the boat. It just happens that is also where I keep my fishing gear. I also have to check that gear to be sure it is properly winterized. I cast here and there keeps it from freezing.

Seriously, if you are going to leave your boat in the water over the winter I recommend checking it on a routine basis. I can't overstress the importance of closing all the through hole fittings. For several years we had one boat sink in the slip each year because of a frozen water line. It is a sinking feeling to see one slip into the deep.

Chuck Hanson"

"So I'm think to leave my

"So I'm think to leave my Tiara (1991 3100 Open) in the water next year. The boats is out now. I winterized in the water due to the fast NY cold snap the other week. I was not able to drain the mufflers when in the water as the drain looked to be under sea level. After i got her out I drained sea water out, and found little trace of the anti freeze "pink stuff" that was used.

So I wonder what to do if I leave it in next year? Looks like I need to some how plug up the exhaust opening in side of boat. They are half under water.

Any ideas from others with similar set ups.

TIA, Scott"

Back